k...@9ci.com
ken.roberts163 @ skype
605-222-5758 @ cell

On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Brian Jackson <i...@theiggy.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:25:54 PM CDT, Ken Roberts wrote:
>> Sorry for the user query but I'm not finding expertise on the Linux mailing
>> lists I belong to.  The web site says one-off user questions are OK.
>>
>> I have a few VM images on Parallels 8 for Mac. I want them to be on
>> KVM/Linux.
>>
>> Some of the images are Linux, but the critical ones are a few types of
>> Windows.  I don't want to trash my licenses.
>>
>> I noticed that kvm-img has a parallels format option, and it seems to work
>> while the conversion is going on.  I've tried kvm-img to convert to qcow2
>> and to raw, both cases the image converts but the disk is not bootable.  The
>> only file the kvm-img doesn't immediately fail on is the one that contains
>> the data.
>

> More details on "not bootable" would be nice. Do you get a blue screen?
> Seabios screen? You may need to prep the image before you convert it (google
> mergeide).

Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the
post.

The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot
failed: not a bootable disk.

Thanks.

Black screen from virt-manager:
----

Booting from Hard Disk…
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

Booting from ROM…
iPXE (PCI 00:03.0) starting execution…ok
iPXE initialising devices…ok

iPXE 1.0.0+ -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware -- http://ipxe.org
Features: HTTP HTTPS iSCSI DNS TFTP AoE bzImage ELF MBOOT PXE PXEXT Menu

net0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx using rtl8139 on PCI00:03.0 (open)
  [Link:up, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
DHCP (net0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)….. ok
net0: 192.168.1.140/255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
Next server: 192.168.1.1
Nothing to boot: No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d03e13b)
No more network devices

Booting from Floppy…
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.
----