On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 18/07/2017 14:15, Andrew Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> If we want to add a "the platform provides a timer with 56 valid bits in
>>> the counter and compare register", then I think it should be a separate
>>> test, and the the user can see that "basic stuff works", "architecture
>>> compliance not so much" and shrug accordingly.
>> Two separate tests sounds good to me. Although, if the value of 'now' is
>> large enough that now + 10s will set bit 31, then a mustang run (at least
>> mine) will fail - and most likely cause a lot of confusion, since it
>> normally does not. We should probably attempt to address that known issue
>> in some way as well.
>
> Is the value relative to vm startup or host startup?

For the virtual timer, KVM currently resets the counter to zero (so VM
startup) and for the physical timer it's since host startup.

I confirmed the behavior Drew reported on my mustang too, but it only
appears to apply for the vtimer when writing cval with bit 31 set, not
for the ptimer.  I was thinking that this may be a problem with KVM,
some sort of signed bit extension problem, but since the problem
doesn't show up on other platforms, it may just be a problem there.
Shrug.

Anyway, since it works with the ptimer, and we should have at least 56
bits of counter space at ~50 MHz, we should be fine here.

Thanks,
-Christoffer