Hi gengdongjiu,

On 26/02/18 16:13, gengdongjiu wrote:
>> On 22/02/18 18:02, Dongjiu Geng wrote:
>>> The RAS SError Syndrome can be Implementation-Defined,
>>> arm64_is_ras_serror() is used to judge whether it is RAS SError,
>>> but arm64_is_ras_serror() does not include this judgement. In order
>>> to avoid function name confusion, we rename the arm64_is_ras_serror()
>>> to arm64_is_categorized_ras_serror(), this function is used to
>>> judge whether it is categorized RAS Serror.
>>
>> I don't see how 'categorized' is relevant. The most significant ISS bit is
>> used
>> to determine if this is an IMP-DEF ESR, or one that uses the architected
>> layout.
>
> From the name arm64_is_ras_serror(), it used to judge whether this is
> RAS Serror,
> but arm64_is_ras_serror() think the IMP-DEF SError is not RAS SError,
> as shown the code note and code in[1].

> In fact the IMP-DEF SError is also RAS SError, so when I read the
> code, it looks like

This is just you then. No-one else has your imp-def:RAS error ESR values.

This would be like me adding some impdef branch instruction, then claiming
aarch64_insn_is_branch() doesn't take account of my private additions.

I agree the name is assuming all architected ESR are RAS-errors, and that impdef
ESR are just that: impdef, that's all we know about them. Unless this causes us
to do the wrong thing, I don't think it matters.
Obviously we would need to change it if a new architected ESR is added.

> confusion, so I rename it to arm64_is_categorized_ras_serror(), then

This is actually worse, because there is an architected ESR for 'uncategorized',
that the helper papers-over and treats as uncontained. Calling it 'categorized'
means we now have three states, not two.

> this function is only used to
> judge whether this is categorized RAS SError,
> if it is categorized, the code will continue judge its Asynchronous Error
> Type.
> if it is uncategorized, the code will panic(this is the original code
> logic) or not panic when we support kernel-first or can isolate the
> SError

Thanks,

James