On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Andras Timar <tima...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Rimas Kudelis <r...@akl.lt> wrote:

>>> I've seen mentions of the move to GtkBuilder, and it seems to hold
>>> lots of advantages. Apart from the burden for translators as Michael
>>> mentions, I just realised that this change will impact the quality
>>> checks in Pootle and similar tools that still assume that '~' is the
>>> only marker. From a quick look, 13 of the quality checks in the
>>> Translate Toolkit remove the marker as part of the test. Although this
>>> might not make a difference in all affected strings, this is still
>>> unfortunate, since it might introduce lots of false complaints from
>>> the quality checks.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to distinguish the accelerator from the #: comments, or
>>> filename, or something like that?
>>

>> Assuming that a marker is consistent within each file, I think it would make
>> most sense to use the X-Accelerator-Marker header for that. The question is
>> whether or not that assumption is correct... Andras?
>
> It is correct. I was thinking about even more simplification. Can
> Pootle accept comma separated values in X-Accelerator-Marker field?
> Like: "X-Accelerator-Marker: ~,_,&\n" Friedel? If not, we need to
> tweak l10ntools.

Pootle doesn't read the X-Accelerator-Marker, as far as I know. It
uses the configuration for the project, which is (should be) set to
"openoffice" which has '~' (only) defined as the marker. The code has
support for more than one marker per configuration, so we could simply
add the others in the code. I can't think of a situation where this
has been tested. The two possible issues I can see with this:

 - might be a bit slower
 - might get some incorrect identification of accelerators. '&' is
slightly tricky here, because of XML entities, although most of the
tests remove those first, before removing the accelerator marker.

If someone has a bit of time, here is a good test to see the impact:
 - Get a full set of files for a reasonably translated language (or multiple)
 - run pofilter from the commandline with --openoffice and --language
and keep the output
 - change accelmarkers under openofficeconfig in
translate/search/checks.py (in the Translate Toolkit) to have all
three markers
 - run pofilter again
 - compare the output of the two runs

This should give us an idea of how much this changes improve/change things.

X-Accelerator-Marker is used by Virtaal, but only to recognise the
project style (openoffice vs. mozilla vs. gnome, etc.) as far as I
could see. So changing this header in the PO files won't do much good,
as I see it.

With all of that said, even if we look for temporary solutions, I want
to underscore what Michael mentioned as one of the points: this makes
things harder, and will reduce the use of translation memories. It is
also causing some churn in the strings, I guess? (Unnecessarily
fuzzying strings when the things are converted to GtkBuilder) If
things can be unified and processed during the build phase as
required, that would be ideal (although I realise that would involve
some work).

Friedel