On 30/11/2014 14:11, Mihovil Stanic wrote:

>>> Of course it is! We’re building an office suite, remember? An office
>>> suite which has to do with typography a great lot. And even if it
>>> didn’t, it’s supposed to demostrate a level of polish and leave a
>>> better, lasting impression on users. They do care about these things,
>>> I certainly do as well. Even amateurish OS X applications implement
>>> typographic quotation marks. Recent versions of GNOME core
>>> applications also do. Windows Store apps are also in the boat. It was
>>> only a matter of time.
>> Fair enough, but please invent a process that makes these cosmetical
>> changes transparent for translators. People don't want to retranslate
>> or review 4000 strings just because you changed apostrophes in en-US.
>> Not to mention that many languages are unmaintaned in Pootle,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andras
>>

> I agree with Andras, Yury and other, we don't need yet another cosmetic
> change which serves no purpose and only requires hours and hours of work
> to get BACK to where we are now.
>
> First we had those UI popup changes which changed access keys from ~ to
> _. Some strings also changed but most didn't have any change except
> that. That dragged on for 2 or 3 major releases.
>
> Then in 4.4 we got some more cosmetic changes which add : on end of
> strings. Hundred of strings stayed same except for that, but hey, hours
> and hours of work again.
>
> In 4.4 I also noticed quite few strings which only change was first
> capital letter on some or all words in string. I'm wondering if english
> has ANY rules regarding spelling or you can just put capital letter
> anywhere you want. Anyway, that was cosmetic change also, since all of
> my strings stayed same.
>
> And now we have biggest challenge of all in front of us, let's change
> thousands of string in a way noone will notice, just those lazy people
> who have nothing else to do except retranslate same old string and try
> to write it same as it was. That's hardly possible since we don't have
> TM for new strings, only old.
>
> Anyway, as Andras said, do what you want, but please fix all
> translations your self or do it in a way it doesn't affect hundreds of
> people.
>
> Mihovil

Lets invent a new language in the world named Liboish - LibreOffice
language - that in fact is often confused with en_US, but it is not the
same.

I suggest to create a new entry in Pootle, named en-US so that we get a
translation from Liboish to English. Other languages translates directly
from Liboish and we are all happy not to redo our work.

(Apologizes for the inapropriate sense of humour, but I saw this extra
work comming months ago. 99% of my 4.4 UI was rework)

--
Olivier Hallot
Comunidade LibreOffice