Hi,

In translation of the Help (and also the Tip-od-the-day strings) one
often needs to look up translation of UI strings. There are two options
how to do that: open LO and find the string there, and to search for the
string directly in Weblate. Both are cumbersome.

There seems to be a third option.

The LO manuals are translated using OmegaT. There, one can upload UI
translation to its vocabulary and OmegaT then highlights matches
directly in the translated text - one can choose the right one by mouse
click. This is very efficient and it ensures that the translations are
correct.

I think that something similar can be achieved also in Weblate. I have
imported 16000 string pairs in vocabulary (there was no problem with
that) and when translating a string, I get a list of suggestions I can
choose from. For example, when translating the string

/To start temporarily with a fresh user profile, or to restore a
non-working %PRODUCTNAME, use////Help > Restart in Safe Mode/.

I can find there translation of /Restart in Safe Mode/. I can transfer
its translation to the editor by a mouse click.

The problem here is that the algorithm behind vocabulary is very simple
- it finds occurrences of each word in the translated string in all
vocabulary entries. Thus for the string above I get 2000+ suggestions. I
can find the right translation by searching in the browser for the
source string. This is not optimal, but still better then the two
possibilities mentioned above.

I thing that the search algorithm can be modified easily so that it
returns only useful matches - I would like to create an issue regarding
that in Weblate's github. If one uses just a standard vocabulary (a list
of translation of single words), no change would be visible.

What do you think about this option? Do you also find it useful?

Cheers

Milos

--
email & jabber: sramek.mi...@gmail.com