Hi Darren,

can you check your dev/ directory? Maybe you are missing the pseudo TTY devices
(/dev/tty*, /dev/pty*).

Stephan

Good day,

I've been trying to set up a IPSEC(2.6 kernel/KAME)/L2TPD setup over the
last week, so that some users will be able to VPN into a gateway machine
with their broadband connections (not dial-up).  I have unfortunately not
found much documentation for doing this other than the man pages, although a
few HOWTO documents (http://www.funknet.org/doc/tunnel/l2tp.html,
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#L2TPconfigLinux) have
so far been the most helpful.

IPSEC seems to be configured OK, but I am unfortunately still stuck on
getting L2TPD/PPP to work.  I've followed the howtos for configuration of
l2tpd/ppp pretty closely, but I have a feeling that there are some steps
that I am missing that were not covered in these documents.

Here's the log messages:

Jun  1 10:55:45 vpn1 l2tpd[4971]: control_finish: Connection established to
a.b.c.d, 1701.  Local: 44352, Remote: 4.  LNS session is 'default'
Jun  1 10:55:52 vpn1 l2tpd[4971]: getPtyMaster: No more free pseudo-tty's
Jun  1 10:55:52 vpn1 l2tpd[4971]: start_pppd: unable to allocate pty,
abandoning!
Jun  1 10:55:52 vpn1 l2tpd[4971]: control_finish: Call established with
a.b.c.d, Local: 26293, Remote: 1, Serial: 0

Googling for this error message reveals one person on this list who
encountered this problem after some time, but, this happens right away,
every time.

I've also only been able to get this far by having l2tpd bound to the
external interface.  If I bind it only to the internal interface, it never
receives the connection from the Windows client.  I had planned to resolve
this problem later, but, I'm not sure if it's related to this problem.

Fedora Core 2, 2.6.5-1.358smp kernel, l2tpd installed from l2tpd-0.69-9jdl
rpm file, ppp 2.4.2.

l2tpd.conf:

[global]
; listen-addr = 10.0.77.27
[lns default]
ip range = 10.0.77.120-10.0.77.126
local ip = 10.0.77.119
require chap = yes
refuse pap = yes
require authentication = yes
name = VPNserver
ppp debug = yes
pppoptfile = /etc/ppp/options.l2tpd
length bit = yes

10.0.77.27 is the internal address of the server, the remaining addresses are reserved for use by this server.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

============================
Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2P 4L4
(403) 781-4948

--
Stephan Scholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Development
Astaro AG | www.astaro.com | Phone +49-721-490069-0 | Fax -55

Awards for ASL:
- Nätverk & Kommunikation Magazine, Sweden: "Five Stars" - October 2003
- Linux Enterprise Readers' Choice Award: Best Firewall - October 2003
- LinuxWorld Product Excellence Award: Best Security Solution - August 2003
- "Excellent" Infoworld Magazine - August 2003