Good day,

Thanks to some helpful suggestions on this list, I've managed to get l2tpd working with Fedora Core 2 and connected a Windows XP client with the native client.

There's more work to be done on the server side, but, I'm having a DNS problem on the Windows XP client end.  The problem is that the client needs to resolve names of machines that are on the internal LAN, which are only resolvable on the internal DNS servers.

I've supplied these servers in my options.l2tpd file, and confirmed that the client gets them (I can see them listed on the client's PPP adapter configuration with "ipconfig").

The problem is that the client is still using its "Internet" DNS servers as its primary resolvers.  If I try to resolve a name, it does not get as far as the PPP-supplied ones.  If I ask the client to directly use the internal servers with nslookup the resolution works properly, of course, but, that does not help with other applications.

I realize that l2tpd is (most likely) working properly, but, I was hoping that someone on the list might have some experience with this situation and would be willing to provide some help.  I'm sure that I can't be the first person to encounter this issue.  Would a WINS server help?  What about some funky iptables packet redirection to send DNS packets at the right servers?

Thanks in advance!

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP