Good day,

Thanks for your reply!

I'll have to try out a WINS server, then.  This should suffice for the
Windows clients, and any non-WINS using machines will probably have open
source clients that one could change if they didn't work.

I actually tried to block the DNS requests to the external servers already.
The Windows client didn't actually make its way down to the ppp-provided
servers, and just gave up trying to resolve the name after trying the first
two (external) servers.  I think this is because the Windows resolver
expects a reply from any server within a certain period of time, so it
doesn't get that far in the list.  Ugh.

Unless there's some way for the users to manually rotate their DNS servers
on the client-side (I recall this being possible back with WINIPCFG on
95/98/ME) I think I'll have to experiment with some iptables trickery to
redirect DNS requests to the internal servers.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services