Jacco de Leeuw wrote on 10/12/04 17:38:
David Riley wrote:

 > suggestions?  It seems like the problem is on the Mac side of things,
 > where they seem to be using a proprietary plugin to the standard ANU
 > pppd; this makes things somewhat harder to debug, since it seems like
 > the OpenBSD box is getting things mostly right.

I'm not so sure that the Mac is at fault because it works on Linux with
Openswan and racoon:

http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-panther.html
http://www.funknet.org/doc/tunnel/l2tp.html

decryption. In any case, the Mac doesn't respond to the Config-Requests, and the connections just time out after that.

This sounds like it might be a policy issue. Can you do a tcpdump on the Mac, and check that all the Mac's responses are encrypted? There's a slight weirdness on OSX with the port numbers used for l2tp, and I had some problems with packets 'escaping' the transport mode policy.

Another reason could be firewalling, but from your tcpdump it looks like correctly-encrypted packets are getting through.

To my knowledge the OSX client doesn't support NAT-T currently - I'm using it against a Linux/Openswan gateway which does NAT-T fine with Windows XP clients, and it fails if OSX is behind NAT. It might negotiate NAT-T with other gateways though.

Chris.