>
>From: "jhallaren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Subject: Re: [freekpfk] Gary Webb, who broke CIA-crack cocaine story an
>         apparent suicide
>
>
>
>This is devastating news! I cannot imagine Gary dead, leave alone
>committing suicide. For one, he had great courage and he came from a
>military background where discipline was enmeshed in daily life ethic.
>Gary also had a breezy mixture of idealism and cynicism. He took things
>with a kind of cockeyed, humorous view. His style was more Forties-Hard
>Guy-Reporter rather than Sixties Gonzo, but he was an original! He was
>as at home roller-blading on the board walks of Venice Beach as talking
>to Ricky Ross' pals, engaging with drug-kingpin girlfriend, the amazing
>Ms. Baca or having psychological conversations on the fears of
>fatherhood.
>
>I first got to know Gary when I worked with Mike Novick, Didon Kamati,
>Sabina Virgo, Gary Phillips, Jim Lafferty, Don White and others on a
>project for IPS (to continue with Mike Ruppert's list, it's through this
>event that I met most of these folks as well as Mike, Tracy Larkins and
>Karen Pommer.)I was the fund Raiser/PR person for this new group and
>Gary's book had just come out. I called him immediately and he agreed to
>come down to be the headline speaker at our first event.
>
>We didn't have much money, and as it was, the folks in Washington were
>hesitant to embark, wholeheartedly, on this anti CIA journey. So, I put
>Gary up in my apartment and that started a long, sporadic friendship.
>
>Where I really got to know who Gary was and what was important to him
>and his life was when I tried to sell his book as a film. He had agents,
>really smart and good agents, but they were having difficulty and I saw
>it as a possible project for Tom Cruise. Gary's main agent let me run
>with this as I'm old friends with Cruise's partner. The Cruise people
>were interested, but unfortunatley, not enough to fight for it when his
>agent got a solid offer to do this as a T.V. project (I'm not aware of
>anything ever coming of this.)
>
>The point of telling this story is that Gary never expected anything to
>happen. He was enthusiastic and excited about the different ways to tell
>the story on film, but he was very pragmatic about business and life. He
>was not taken to flights of fancy, to conspiracy theories or romantic
>notions. He didn't set himself up to be victimized by dissapointments,
>but he sure did get his share of them.
>
>The world is a little more hopeless, a little more ingenuous, a lot less
>honest and courageous with this new and terrible loss. It is hard to see
>people of such uncompromising fabric leave us so soon.
>
>In deep sadness and distress,
>
>Jane Hallaren
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Novick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:17:09 -0800
>Subject: [freekpfk] Gary Webb, who broke CIA-crack cocaine story an
>apparent suicide
>
> >
> > From: "Mike Ruppert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > In death they beat him ruthlessly.
> >
> > I always knew it was a fight to the death. I don t think he ever fully
> > understood that. Cele Castillo and I both told him what he was up
> > against
> > and what it would cost him.
> >
> > There would be no FTW, or Crossing the Rubicon without Gary Webb.
> > Catherine
> > Fitts and I would never have met had it not been for Gary Webb. Dick
> > Gregory would not have made me his white son on the radio had it not
> > been
> > for Gary Webb. I would never have confronted John Deutch at Locke High
> > had
> > it not been for Gary Webb.
> >
> > I might have committed suicide in 1996 -- broke and having given up all
> > hope of making people listen -- had it not been for Gary Webb. For some
> > years now it has been the farthest thing from my mind. I found
> > (rediscovered) my purpose and I guess he lost his.
> >
> > Assuming that it really was a suicide and I have absolutely no reason
> > to
> > suspect otherwise it is a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. Maybe
> > only
> > Cele Castillo and I know it fully, but I don t think either one of us
> > wants
> > to discuss it in public or in private.
> >
> >
> >
> > I called the Coroner shortly after the first flash came in here. His
> > time
> > of death was listed at 8:20 AM. Since it was Saturday, the homicide
> > detectives would have been off and had to be paged. I estimate two
> > hours
> > (minimum) for them to get to the crime scene (unless a uniformed
> > supervisor
> > handled it). Add three hours minimum for crime scene, photos etc; that
> > means he went to the Coroner s most likely around 1 PM. It could have
> > been
> > much later depending on response times on a Saturday before Christmas.
> >
> >
> >
> > When I called the Sacramento Coroner s Office at 8:20 PM tonight and
> > spoke
> > with an unidentified female who stated that he had just been there
> > since
> > late this afternoon. I Id d myself as a friend, ex-cop and journalist
> > and
> > she confirmed a single shot to the head. I wasn t sure it was our Gary
> > Webb
> > so I got his date of birth, hair and eye color. They matched. Gary was
> > a
> > good looking man with a moustache and I asked if that fit. She
> > hesitated
> > for quite a while before answering, I can t tell.
> >
> >
> >
> > I confirmed his death with the San Jose Merc and the LATimes. We will
> > see
> > if later facts don t mesh with what I report here. But in my gut I
> > think he
> > was a suicide. It has been years since he was in the limelight or had
> > any
> > hot work going. Apparently he had just had a string of setbacks. He d
> > lost
> > a couple of jobs. He was freelancing. I am not reaching any firm
> > conclusions here and now. I am just making a record of what I know and
> > what
> > I feel at this very, very sad moment.
> >
> >
> >
> > I called the LATimes at about 9:15 because I wanted to make sure
> > someone
> > said some good things about him. I dropped some names and got to the
> > writer
> > or the editor on the story who wouldn t ID himself. He said he d have
> > someone call me back to get my statement. No one ever called back.
> >
> > Damnit, he deserved better than this:
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > 
> <http://www.latimes.com/features/health/medicine/la-me-webb12dec12,1,680>http://www.latimes.com/features/health/medicine/la-me-webb12dec12,1,680
> > 6738.story?coll=la-health-medicine
> >
> >
> > OBITUARIES
> >
> > Gary Webb, 49; Wrote Series Linking CIA, Drugs
> >
> > By Nita Lelyveld and Steve Hymon
> > Times Staff Writers
> >
> > December 12, 2004
> >
> > Gary Webb, an investigative reporter who wrote a widely criticized
> > series
> > linking the CIA to the explosion of crack cocaine in Los Angeles, was
> > found
> > dead in his Sacramento-area home Friday. He apparently killed himself,
> > authorities said.
> >
> > Webb had suffered a gunshot wound to the head, according to the
> > Sacramento
> > County coroner's office. He was 49.
> >
> > His 1996 San Jose Mercury News series contended that Nicaraguan drug
> > traffickers had sold tons of crack cocaine from Colombian cartels in
> > Los
> > Angeles' black neighborhoods and then funneled millions in profits back
> > to
> > the CIA-supported Nicaraguan Contras.
> >
> > Three months after the series was published, the Los Angeles County
> > Sheriff's Department said it conducted an exhaustive investigation but
> > found no evidence of a connection between the CIA and Southern
> > California
> > drug traffickers.
> >
> > Major newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times, New York Times and
> > Washington Post, wrote reports discrediting elements of Webb's
> > reporting.
> > The Los Angeles Times report looked into Webb's charges "that a
> > CIA-related
> > drug ring sent 'millions' of dollars to the Contras; that it launched
> > an
> > epidemic of cocaine use in South-Central Los Angeles and America's
> > other
> > inner cities; and that the agency either approved the scheme or
> > deliberately turned a blind eye."
> >
> > "But the available evidence, based on an extensive review of court
> > documents and more than 100 interviews in San Francisco, Los Angeles,
> > Washington and Managua, fails to support any of those allegations," The
> > Times reported.
> >
> > Months later, the Mercury News also backed away from the series,
> > publishing
> > an open letter to its readers, admitting to flaws.
> >
> > "We oversimplified the complex issue of how the crack epidemic in
> > America
> > grew," wrote the paper's executive editor, Jerry Ceppos, adding, "I
> > believe
> > that we fell short at every step of our process in the writing, editing
> > and
> > production of our work."
> >
> > The paper reassigned Webb to a suburban bureau. In December 1997, he
> > quit.
> >
> > "All he ever wanted to do was write," said Webb's ex-wife, Susan Bell,
> > who
> > met him when they were both high school students in Indiana. "He never
> > really recovered from it."
> >
> > Webb was born in Corona to a military family and moved around the
> > country
> > throughout his youth. He dropped out of journalism school just shy of
> > graduating to accept his first newspaper job at the Kentucky Post, then
> > went to the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Mercury News.
> >
> > Within two years of arriving at the paper, Webb was part of a team that
> > won
> > the Pulitzer Prize in 1990 for coverage of the Loma Prieta earthquake.
> >
> > Webb continued to defend his reporting, most notably in a 548-page
> > book,
> > "Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion,"
> > which was published in 1999.
> >
> > After leaving the Mercury News, Webb worked in state government,
> > including
> > the Joint Legislative Audit Committee's investigation into then-Gov.
> > Gray
> > Davis' controversial award of a $95-million, no-bid contract to Oracle
> > in 2001.
> >
> > "The guy had a fierce commitment to justice and truth. He cared deeply
> > about the people who are forgotten, that we try to shove into the dark
> > recesses of our minds and world," said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for
> > the
> > California attorney general's office who worked with Webb on the Oracle
> > investigation.
> >
> > But Webb's career remained troubled. While working for another
> > legislative
> > committee in Sacramento, Webb wrote a report accusing the California
> > Highway Patrol of unofficially condoning and even encouraging racial
> > profiling in its drug interdiction program.
> >
> > Legislative officials released the report in 1999 but cautioned that it
> > was
> > based mainly on assumptions and anecdotes. Earlier this year, Webb was
> > one
> > of a group of employees fired from the Assembly speaker's Office of
> > Member
> > Services for failing to show up for work.
> >
> > Webb, who lived in Carmichael, continued to write occasionally for a
> > variety of publications. Last summer, the weekly Sacramento News &
> > Review
> > hired Webb to cover government and politics. He had recently written
> > two
> > cover stories, including one on how much money Sacramento County was
> > making
> > off the use of red-light cameras.
> >
> > "He's obviously a skilled reporter and writer and he was doing good
> > work
> > for us and the evidence was on the page," said News & Review Editor Tom
> > Walsh.
> >
> > Webb is survived by two sons, Ian and Eric; and a daughter, Christine.
> >
> > If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
> > latimes.com/archives.
> > []
> > Article licensing and reprint options
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times
> > []
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>ADVERTISEMENT
>
>
>----------
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>    * To visit your group on the web, go to:
>    * 
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freekpfk/>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freekpfk/
>  
>
>    *
>    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>    * 
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
>
>    *
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the 
> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

John Johnson
Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.change-links.org
Subscribe to our list server. Email  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(818) 982-1412
Cell (818) 681-7448.

===




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to