From: Michele Welsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Memorial Service for Frank Wilkinson

Dear Friend, Frank Wilkinson, a dear friend of the Southern California
Library's and a key figure in Los Angeles history, has died at age 91.
Frank began his half century as a national civil liberties leader after
being fired from his job as a Los Angeles Housing Authority official during
the McCarthy era; he was later imprisoned for refusing to testify before
the House Un-American Activities Committee. The Library holds Frank's
personal papers.

A memorial service for Frank will be held at 2 p.m. January 28 at Holman
United Methodist Church, 3320 W. Adams Blvd., Los Angeles.
Contributions in Frank's memory may be made to the Southern California
Library, 6120 S. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90044, or to the First
Amendment Foundation, 3321 12th St. NE, Washington, D.C., 20017.

Frank's life and work embody the essence of the Library: the importance of
speaking out, even when it is not popular, and taking a stand because it is
right, not because it is easy. History shows us that it is these people who
ultimately we hold in highest esteem. The highest honor we can pay Frank is
to continue to do our work; in this way, we celebrate his life.

Michele

Michele Welsing
Communications Director
Southern California Library
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(323) 759-6063
www.socallib.org

Working for a world where all people have the ability, resources, and
freedom to make their own histories

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>