Hello everybody:

The OC Weekly published today a letter I sent out to
them about two weeks ago regarding an experience I had
with a Santa Ana police riot squad on the night of
Monday, March 27th, the day that city experienced a
series of huge student walkouts in protest of federal
legislation that would criminalize undocumented
workers.

For people who may not know what happened, I was
standing with a small crowd of Mexican residents who
were doing nothing but watching honking cars go by
along Bristol Street in Santa Ana when we were
attacked without warning by a riot squad.

A friend and I brought up this issue at the last
meeting of the Santa Ana City Council; I also filed a
complaint about it with Chief Paul Walters. I doubt
anything will come of it, however: elected officials
in that town turn a blind eye toward these abuses.

Nevertheless, I feel it's very important that people
stand up and speak out against these attacks on our
civil liberties and civil rights when they do occur.
Public exposure of this kind of misconduct is one way
of keeping our rulers in check.

Please check out the following links for more details
about this matter:

http://www.ocweekly.com/news/news/the-gilchristification-of-oc/24818/
http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/03/151994.php

My letter to the OC Weekly is at the end of this
message.

Sincerely,

Duane J. Roberts
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 



OC WEEKLY

Letters to the Editor, April 14, 2006, Page 7

Although I agree with much of Gustavo Arellano's
analysis of last month's high school walkouts
["The Gilchristification of OC," March 31]
I want to set the record straight on an
incident he cites. On the night of walkouts,
I was hanging out with a small crowd of
Mexican residents who were doing nothing
but standing peacefully on a public sidewalk
and quietly watching honking cars drive by
along Bristol Street, when we were suddenly
attacked by several Santa Ana police officers
dressed in full riot gear. 

None of these officers gave an order to
disperse or explained why we needed to leave.
They just drove up in their patrol cars, jumped
out, and started yelling for us to "get the
hell out of here." When some people didn't
react immediately, the cops began violently
pushing and shoving them with their night
sticks. I saw one man fall.

They then began herding us out of the area like
cattle. One policeman angrily kept shouting
"move faster" to a young man who wasn't
running fast enough; he shoved him hard. A
cop directly behind me pressed his night stick
on my back, but fortunately didn't
push me. Had he done so, I might have fallen on
a small child in front of me. 

After the cops pushed us deep into a local
neighborhood, they left us alone. Although
nobody was arrested or appeared to have been
seriously injured, people were mad about
being treated this way; some cursed the officers
in Spanish as they walked away.

Although the Santa Ana Police Department
would like you to believe this kind of behavior
is an anomaly, my prior experiences dealing
with this force have taught me their cops have
a long and sordid of history of trampling over
the civil liberties and rights of that town's
working class Mexican residents.

The elected leadership of Santa Ana is too
beholden to the police union for campaign funds
for it to do anything about this problem.
Perhaps the first step toward dealing with cop
abuse in that community is for voters to oust
them from their seats and replace them with
candidates who haven't been bought off.

Duane J. Roberts
Anaheim

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 




---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to