http://persian2english.com/?p=13522

 Four Iranian Women Face Execution Any Day Now: Sakineh, Maryam, Kobra, and
AzarAugust 14, 2010

Execution & Torture <http://persian2english.com/?cat=16> |
Follow-ups<http://persian2english.com/?cat=843>|
German <http://persian2english.com/?cat=838> | Human
Rights<http://persian2english.com/?cat=2887>|
Interviews <http://persian2english.com/?cat=3242> | News
Topics<http://persian2english.com/?cat=817>| Prisoners
& Their Families <http://persian2english.com/?cat=23>

*Deutsche Übersetzung auf Julias Blog lesen* <http://wp.me/pHnb6-2Fu>

*Originally Published in Persian by ROOZ
ONLINE<http://www.roozonline.com/persian/news/newsitem/article////107/-186a13cb8e.html>|
August
12, 2010*

*Translation SIAVOSH JALILI for Persian2English<http://persian2english.com/>
*

<http://persian2english.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/289.jpg>In an
interview with Rooz Online, Javid Kian, the lawyer for the four women who
received stoning sentences, has asked international organizations to act in
order to save the lives of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, Maryam Ghorbanzadeh,
Kobra Babaei, and Azar Bagheri.

Meanwhile, on the Wednesday night episode of the Iran state television
program 20/30, Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani *[falsely]
confessed*<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/12/sakineh-mohammadi-ashtiani-confesses-murder-iran>to
adultery and the murder of her husband. She also made [false]
confessions
against herself and her lawyer Mohammad Mostafaei.

Javid Kian is the lawyer who along with Mohammad Mostafaei represents the
Ashtiani case. In an interview with Rooz, Kian talked of the pressures put
on Sakineh’s children and said that the televised confession came only after
Sakineh was severely beaten and physically assaulted.

Mohammad Mostafaei, referring to the confession,  said that the Judiciary
system should know that it cannot justify its behaviour and conduct through
violence, force, extracting false confessions, and targeting and ruining the
character and reputation of others.
*The Beating of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani*

*Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani* <http://persian2english.com/?p=12213>* *was
shown on television confessing against herself and her lawyer while her case
and her fate is still in a cloud of obscurity in the wake of the halt of her
stoning sentence. After the confessions of his client was aired, Javid Kian
told Rooz, “They took Ms. Ashtiani to room 37 of Tabriz prison and had her
confess against herself. However, these confessions were not extracted under
normal circumstances. Based on the information I have, Ms. Ashtiani was
beaten severely and was forced to take part in the interview.  They also
filmed family members of Ms. Ashtiani making statements against her.”

He added, “They approached Ms. Ashtiani’s extremely religious family members
and filmed them stating that Sakineh committed adultery and must be
punished. Unfortunately, Ms. Ashtiani’s family members have put pressure on
her children and said to them, ‘Your mother has ruined the reputation of our
family and has to be executed and stoned.’  There is a lot of psychological
pressure on the children.”

Javid Kian also explains that he was informed through his other clients
[detained] in the women’s ward of Tabriz prison that Sakineh was forced to
confess in a televised interview under duress and [after receiving] extreme
beatings.

Kian said the following on the latest developments in the Ashtiani case:
“Our last action was to demand a re-opening and retrial of the case. They
were supposed to reply in 20 days, but then the *whole situation with my
dear colleague Mr. Mostafaei occurred* <http://persian2english.com/?p=13446>.
After that, the case of Ms. Ashtiani was suspended by the Judiciary’ s
Intelligence and Security. After Mr. Hosseyni Nobakhti, the executive
vice-director of the Tabriz Execution of Sentences office, wrote to Mr.
Ezhey, Iran’s General Attorney, Mr. Ezhei passed the case to his principle
assistant Saeed Mortazavi.  In turn, Mortazavi sent the case to the
Judiciary’s Intelligence and Security. He added a note under the letter that
the case of Ms. Ghorbanzadeh will be resolved before the case of Ms.
Ashtiani.  However, these two cases have no connection to one another.  *This
indicates that the life of Maryam Ghorbanzadeh is in danger and they want to
execute her as quickly as possible while global attention is focused on
Sakineh’s case.”*
*Mohammad Mostafaei’s Reaction to the Televised Confession *

Mohammad Mostafaei told Rooz, “Everyone knows that when the life of a person
is in danger, or when (s)he faces death or a stoning sentence, (s)he would
have no choice but to sit behind any camera and accept the demands of those
who have the control of his/her life. (S)he would say whatever they want to
be said. I am certain that this was the case in Sakineh’s confessions. I
have to say, however, that the question of murder in Sakineh’s case does not
hold at all because the murder was one case and the stoning was another case
[in court]. What is important is that when the family of the victim consent
to forgive and spare the life the defendant, execution and Qesas
(eye-for-an-eye execution) are out of the question, and this has nothing to
do with the type and form of the murder. So, while the question of murder
has been resolved, it is highlighted on television to justify the [illegal]
actions. Why wasn’t the stoning sentence discussed [on television]? Why
didn’t they announce that Sakineh requested a pardon three times, but each
time it was turned down? *Why didn’t they mention the fact that two out of
the five judges voted not-guilty [to her sentence] due to a lack of evidence
in the adultery charge?”*

Mostafaei added, “We argued that a human being is in danger of being stoned
and there was no [option] of death [by hanging]. The head of the Tabriz
Judiciary, after international attention was gained on the case, said in an
interview that the sentence was death by hanging. However, this is not true.
 Why didn’t they interview her lawyer on television? They claim that I have
never met Sakineh, even though I am her lawyer. I have talked to her on the
phone many times and I have met her [in person] many times. I am officially
representing her, and this is mentioned in the case too. I don’t know what
they are trying to prove.  If the Judiciary had accepted the demand for
pardon, there would not have been so much protest and tumult over the case.
The government and judiciary officials should know that they cannot achieve
anything by resorting to violence, force, deception, and lies. I do not care
what Israel or the USA does or says. My concern is to save the life of a
human being from death. In the midst of all this, some people living outside
Iran take political advantage of the situation, while others are working in
a completely humane and sincere way. I do not deal with those who are taking
advantage. I feel sorry for my country. I wish instead of making false
documentaries, the officials would choose the correct approaches that would
serve the best interests of the country, Islam, and the regime.”
*Life of Maryam Ghorbanzadeh in Danger, Forced Abortion at Six
Months<http://persian2english.com/?p=13511>
* *Azar Bagheri, Another Victim*

Azar Bagheri is another of Mr. Kian’s clients who has been in jail since she
was 14 years old after her husband filed a complaint against her.  Mr. Kian
said, “Ms. Bagheri has been in jail for ten years, since she was 14. We
followed all the legal processes and they issued and reinstated the death by
stoning sentence six times. But, just recently, her sentence was changed to
lashes. The case is open and has gone to the Supreme Court. If the Supreme
Court does not overturn the lashing sentence, she is saved from stoning. If
the court nullifies it, the stoning sentence may be carried out. However,
the risk is that since she will receive 100 lashes on her back while naked,
she risks damage to her spinal cord, like in most [lashing] cases.”

Mr. Kian explains that Ms. Bagheri’s husband owed someone money and he
invited that person to his home. Then, the husband beat up Azar Bagheri and
the other person. He called the police and claimed that they, Ms. Bagheri
and the man, were engaged in a sexual relationship and he had witnessed it.
He had devised a dirty plan to get rid of his creditor. Now, the sentence
has been changed to lashing because we were finally able to prove that the
person was in fact a creditor, the entire case was a conspiracy, and the
relationship [between Ms. Bagheri and the creditor] was false.”
*Stoning Sentence for Kobra Babaei Sent to Processing Office*

Kobra Babaei is Javid Kian’s other client whose husband Rahim Mohammadi was
executed in Tabriz on the charge of Sodomy. She is at risk of being stoned
to death. According to her lawyer, the sentence was sent to branch 7 of the
office that processes execution sentences. Rahim Mohammadi never committed
sodomy; he had only staged a show to extort someone. His plan never worked
and he was arrested. However, they executed him on the charge of sodomy.
 After the double injustice done to Ms. Babaei, her [current] mental and
psychological condition is in a horrific state. She is suffering from severe
depression and uses dangerous medications. Our request for a retrial was
turned down. She can be stoned any day now.”

*Javid Kian asks international organizations to take action to save the
lives of these four women.* He says that legally his hands are tied,
especially with respect to cases that are sent to the office that processes
execution sentences, and therefore, he can’t do anything.

*TAKE ACTION: It is Time to
<http://missionfreeiran.org/2010/07/12/un-sakineh-elnaz/>Remove the Islamic
Republic from the UN Commission on the Status of
Women<http://missionfreeiran.org/2010/07/12/un-sakineh-elnaz/>(incl.
sample letters and
addresses)<http://missionfreeiran.org/2010/07/12/un-sakineh-elnaz/>
 * ------------------------------ http://iranlaborreport.com/?p=1228  RMT
Campaigns for Release of Iranian Trade Union Leader, Reza Shahabi

Featured <http://iranlaborreport.com/?cat=7> / recent
updates<http://iranlaborreport.com/?cat=1>
August 15, 2010
0<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#comments>

*
TRANSPORT UNION RMT has joined forces with British MP’s and trade unionists
around the globe to campaign for the release of imprisoned Iranian transport
workers union leader Reza
Shahabi<http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=137674>
.*

Reza Shahabi is the Treasurer of the Syndicate of Workers of Tehran and
Suburbs Bus Company (Sherkat-e Vahed) whose leadership has been targeted for
a wave of arrests and detentions without trial in recent years. Reza Shahabi
and another colleague Saeed Torabian who was arrested on 9 June but
subsequently released, were suspended from work, without pay, for four years
following strikes by bus workers in Tehran in 2005. They were reinstated
after a Court investigation.

Shahabi was arrested on 12 June 2010. When he arrived at work he was
summoned to the headquarters of the Bus Company, where he was arrested by
security officials. They took him to his house, which they searched, and
confiscated his computer. Shahabi is reported to have been transferred to
section 209, the intelligence section of Tehran’s notorious Evin prison.

RMT Parliamentary Convenor John McDonnell has tabled Early Day Motion 633 on
Reza Shahabi’s arrest and imprisonment in the torture section of Evin prison
in Tehran. The EDM is drawing cross-party support.

*“That this House deplores the arrest without charge by the Iranian
authorities of Reza Shahabi, Treasurer of the Tehran Bus Workers Union, on
12 June 2010; is dismayed by this arrest which is the latest in a series of
instances of the persecution of trade unionists in Iran; is deeply concerned
that Reza Shahabi is being held in section 209 of the Evin prison which is
notorious as a torture centre; is further concerned that he has been held in
solitary confinement without any contact from family or friends for two
months; notes that Amnesty International believes Reza Shahabi is very
likely to be a prisoner of conscience and is being held solely on account of
his trade union activities; believes the continued detention of Reza Shahabi
places Iran in contravention of its agreement to the International Covenant
on Civil and Political Rights; and calls on the Iranian government to
release immediately Reza Shahabi and for the UK Government to do all within
its power to assist in his release.”*

MP’s have also tabled questions to the Foreign Secretary urging UK
Government intervention on Reza’s case.

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:

“It is important that the Iranian Government understand that the
international trade union movement are aware of their actions and that we
will continue to mobilise high-profile campaigns in support of Reza Shahabi
and others facing similar oppression as a result of their union activities.”

---------------------------------------
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13582>
A Letter by Nazanin Davoudi: How Do I Make One See this Non-Islamic Tyranny?
<http://persian2english.com/?p=13582>

August 16, 2010

Nazanin Davoudi writes an open letter on her husband Arzhang Davoudi’s
hunger strike and the injustices inflicted on him by prison authorities.
 HEADLINES
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13573> Political Prisoner Reza Joushan
Losing Eye Sight, Denied Medical Care <http://persian2english.com/?p=13573>

August 15, 2010

According to Human Rights and Democracy Activists in Iran, 25 year old
political prisoner Reza Joushan suffers from acute eye disease since a week
ago. Despite this, Mohebbi, the chief interrogator of the Ministry of
intelligence, has denied him medical treatment. Reza Joushan’s eyes are red
and watery. He suffers from severe pain and the deterioration of vision.
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13567> Rajai Shahr Prison: New Murder Under
Torture <http://persian2english.com/?p=13567>

August 15, 2010

35 year old prisoner Hassan Ghashghaei died under torture in a solitary
confinement cell in ward 1 of Rajai Shahr prison in Karaj (I.e. Gohardasht
prison).
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13558> Hunger Strike Continues for Keyvan
Samimi, Health Deteriorates <http://persian2english.com/?p=13558>

August 15, 2010

Political prisoners who were recently on a hunger strike that lasted two
weeks have repeatedly asked 62 year old imprisoned journalist Keyvan Samimi
to end his hunger strike, however, he insists that it will continue until he
and his ‘imprisoned children’ are transferred from solitary confinement to
the general ward of Evin prison.
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13543> P2E Weekly Twitter Updates | August
14, 2010 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13543>

August 15, 2010

All Persian2English tweets from the last week posted here.
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13544> ‘Hunger Strike’ Prisoners Threatened
with 6 Months Solitary Confinement <http://persian2english.com/?p=13544>

August 15, 2010

Five of the 17 Evin hunger strike prisoners detained in solitary confinement
cells of ward 240 were transferred to the Prosecutor’s office. The prisoners
(Kouhyar Goodarzi, Bahman Ahmad Amouie, Keyvan Samimi, Gholamhossein Arashi,
and Ali Malihi) were threatened with six months imprisonment in solitary
confinement, even though 20 days is the maximum allowed time spent in
solitary confinement for wards covered by the Prisons Organization.
 <http://persian2english.com/?p=13540> More than 70 Prisoners Suddenly
Executed in Mashhad <http://persian2english.com/?p=13540>

August 14, 2010

There are reports that in the past few days more than 70 people detained in
Mashhad prison were executed suddenly and without prior notice. Based on the
information available, prisoners under the age of 18 years were among the
executed.