Global warming will kill one million a year by 2030 Estimates at UN talks say
it will also cost $157 billion annually
By Richard Ingham, Agence France-Presse
December 4, 2010

Read more:
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Global+warming+will+kill+million+year+2030/3928270/story.html#ixzz17E14W3Fr

  CANCUN,
 Mexico -- By 2030, climate change will indirectly  cause nearly one
million deaths a year and inflict $157 billion a  year in damages,
according to estimates presented at UN talks on  Friday.
The
biggest misery will be heaped on more than 50 of the world's  poorest
countries, but the United States will pay the highest  economic bill, it
 said. "In less than 20 years, almost all countries in the world
will  realize high vulnerability to climate impact as the planet heats
up," the report warned. The study, compiled by a humanitarian
research organization and  climate-vulnerable countries, assessed how
184 nations will be  affected in four areas: health, weather disasters,
the loss of human  habitat through desertification and rising seas, and
economic  stress. Those facing "acute" exposure are 54 poor or
very poor countries,  including India. They will suffer
disproportionately to others,  although they are least to blame for the
man-made greenhouse gases  that drive climate change, it said. "Without
 corrective actions," a news release accompanying the study  said, the
world is "headed for nearly one million deaths every  single year by
2030." More than half of the economic losses will take place in  industrialized
countries, led by the U.S., Japan and Germany. But the cost to their GDP will
be proportionately far lower than  for poor countries. The
 peer-reviewed report was issued by DARA, a Madridbased
non-governmental organization, and by the Climate Vulnerable Forum,  a
coalition of island nations and other countries that are most  exposed
to climate change. Saleemul Huq, a researcher at a London-based
think-tank, the  International Institute for Environment and
Development, said the  findings spelled out the need to start shoring up
 defences now,  rather than later. "We are now entering into a highly
vulnerable phase of our planet's  existence and humanity's existence," Huq
said. "No
 amount of [greenhouse-gas] mitigation will prevent at least  another
0.7 degree C of temperature rise over the next two decades,"  he said. "In
 the last century we have already seen a 0.7 degree rise. So we  are
headed for 1.4 almost certainly. If emissions carry on their  current
pathway, then we may, in the longer term, be headed for  three or four
degrees, which is practically impossible for everybody  to adapt to. "But at
the lower level, we can do a lot by adapting to the impacts  of climate change,
to prepare for them." Previous
 studies into climate vulnerability have been more narrowly  focused and
 have a longer time frame, looking at, for instance, the  risks by 2100.
 By focusing on what happens in a couple of decades, the report
has  a better chance of swaying policy-makers, as these events are
likely  to happen within their lifetime, said former UN Framework
Convention  on Climate Change chief Michael Zammit Cutajar.

Read more:
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Global+warming+will+kill+million+year+2030/3928270/story.html#ixzz17E0dpV2B