Four prisoners unjustly sentenced to death for 
the Lucasville (OH) prison uprising are going on 
hunger strike beginning today, to demand that 
they be placed on Death Row rather than be held 
in solitary confinement (and to initiate a 
campaign that will hopefully lead to executive 
clemency). Here, the first of the prisoners to begin the strike speaks out:

If We Must Die

Before I speak my piece, let me make one thing 
perfectly clear: I don’t want to die. I want to 
live and breathe and strive to do something 
righteous with my life. Truly. For the past 
sixteen years, however, I’ve been in solitary 
confinement, confined to a cell 23 hours a day 
for something I didn’t do, and, speaking 
honestly, I have gone as far as I am willing to 
go. Am I giving up? No. This is a protest, the 
only non-violent way I can think of to express 
the deep disdain I have for the unjust situation 
that I am in. Make no mistake: my physical and 
mental strength is intact. However, to continue 
on in this way would be to lend legitimacy to a 
process that is both fraudulent and vindictive; 
this I am no longer willing to do.

                   I realize that for some of you 
the thought that an innocent man could be sent to 
prison and ultimately executed is inconceivable. 
But it happens. In a system that’s based more on 
competition than on the equitable treatment of 
others, the football field is not the only place 
where participants are encouraged to win at any 
cost. Hence, in order to be victorious, some 
prosecutors hide evidence, lie in open court, and 
even pay for the perjured testimony of their 
witnesses. And this is exactly what happened in 
my case (and in the majority of cases stemming 
from the 1993 prison uprising at the Southern 
Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, Ohio); 
and there are a few people among you who have 
reviewed the file and know this to be the truth.

                   But let us for the moment put 
aside the question of my guilt or innocence, 
because that, believe it or not, is not what this 
is about. On that score, we have written several 
books, produced a play, and are putting the final 
touches on a full-scale documentary to illustrate 
the travesty of justice that has taken place 
here; and these things are available to you if 
you are interested. For now, I want to talk about dying…

                   In all that is presently 
unclear, one thing is certain: I have been 
sentenced to death, which, as you know, is the 
severest penalty known to man. Typically, when 
one has been given the death penalty, one is 
placed alongside other similarly-sentenced 
prisoners and they, together, are housed in an 
area that has been designated as Death Row. As 
living situations go, this is a very bleak and 
miserable place: men are sent here to die, to be 
killed by the state. No one in their right mind 
would ask to be sent here; and yet, this is 
precisely what I am asking, which should give you 
an indication of just how insufferable the 
situation I am living under is. And I am not alone…

                   When the uprising was over, 
and all was said and done, five of us were 
singled out as leaders and sentenced to death. 
Jason Robb, James Were (or Namir, as he prefers 
to be called), Siddique Abdullah Hasan, George 
Skatzes, and myself. With the exception of George 
Skatzes, who for the past ten years has been in a 
less pressurized ­ though by no means acceptable 
­ situation, we have undergone penalty on top of 
penalty, been kept from fully participating in 
our appeals, from touching our friends and 
families, denied adequate medical treatment, and 
so many other things that are too numerous to 
name. In a word, we have been tortured. And yes, 
I am aware that the word “tortured” is a strong 
word to use, but I know of no other word that 
adequately describes what we have been through. We have been put through hell.

A few months ago, a Federal judge recommended 
that my case be dismissed, which effectively 
moved me one step closer to being executed. It’s 
hard to explain how this made me feel; but upon 
hearing the news I immediately thought that a 
mistake had been made and that my attorneys had 
somehow misunderstood the judge’s ruling. As it 
turns out, I was the one who misunderstood. 
Indeed, I have been “misunderstanding” things all 
along. When I was first named as a suspect in 
riot-related crimes, I was certain that my name 
would eventually be cleared. Instead, I received 
a nine-count murder indictment with death-penalty 
specifications. I was shocked. And then they 
offered me a deal: “Cop out to murder and we’ll 
forget the whole thing,” they told me. “But I’m 
innocent,” I said, thinking to myself that the 
truth of this would somehow set me free. And so, 
with the trust and faith of a fool, I went to 
trial, thinking and believing that I would 
receive a fair one (I didn’t) and that I would 
ultimately be exonerated (I wasn’t). And then, 
when I was sentenced to death, it was my 
understanding that I would be placed on Death Row 
and allowed to pursue my appeals alongside other 
similarly-sentenced prisoners; but, again, I 
misunderstood…”Just wait until you get to Federal 
Court,” I was told, “and you’ll definitely get 
some relief there.” So I waited…I waited for sixteen years!

If justice as a concept is real, then I could 
with some justification say, “justice delayed is 
justice denied.” But this has never been about 
justice, and I finally, finally, finally 
understand that. For the past sixteen years, I 
(we) have been nothing more than a scapegoat for 
the state, and convenient excuse that they can 
point to whenever they need to raise the specter 
of fear among the public or justify the 
expenditure of inordinate amounts of money for 
more locks and chains. And not only that, but the 
main reason behind the double penalty that we 
have been undergoing is so that we can serve as 
an example of what happens to those who challenge 
the power and authority of the state. And like 
good little pawns we’re supposed to sit here and 
wait until they take us to their death chamber, 
strap us down to a gurney, and pump poison 
through our veins. Fuck that! I refuse to go out 
like that: used as a tool by the state to put 
fear into the hearts of others while legitimizing 
a system that is bogus and sold to those with money. That’s not my destiny.

At the beginning of this I wanted to make it 
perfectly clear that I didn’t want to die, and I 
don’t. Life is a beautiful thing, especially when 
one is conscious and aware of the value of one’s 
life. Sadly, it took going through this process 
for me to wake up and finally understand the 
value of my life. I say “wake up” because, 
unbeknownst to me I had been asleep all this 
time, oblivious to the reality of my situation 
and unaware that the only way for one to stop 
dreaming (and gain control over things) is for 
one to open one’s eyes. My eyes are open now.

Is it too late? I don’t know. As I said, the 
books have been written, the play has been 
performed, and, pretty soon, the documentary will 
be completed. But what good are these things if 
they never enter into the stream of public 
opinion and force the governor (who answers to 
the public) to issue a general amnesty? 
Admittedly, convincing the governor to bend in 
our favor will be a difficult undertaking, one 
that will require huge amounts of energy and 
effort on our behalf. But it can be done; at the 
very least, it can be attempted. In the meantime, 
we who have been sentenced to death must be 
granted the exact same privileges as other 
death-sentenced prisoners. If we must die, we 
should be allowed to do so with dignity, which is 
all we’re asking: the opportunity to pursue our 
appeals unimpeded, to be able to touch our 
friends and family, and to no longer be treated 
as playthings but as human beings who are facing the ultimate penalty.

Again, I stress that fact that I do not want to 
die, but in the words of Claude McKay, I share 
the following as my parting sentiments:

If we must die, let it not be like hogs

Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,

While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs,

Making their mock at our accursed lot.

If we must die, O, let us nobly die,

So that our precious blood may not be shed

In vain; then even the monsters we defy

Shall be constrained to honor us through deed!

O kinsmen! We must meet the common foe!

Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,

And for their thousand blows deal one death-blow!

What though before us lies the open grave?

Like men we’ll face the murderous, cowardly pack,

Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!


Bomani Shakur
December 2010

Note from MN:

The four hunger strikers are all at the Ohio State Penitentiary:
Siddique Abdullah Hasan (Carlos Sanders)          R130-559
Namir Abdul Mateen (James Were)                      A173-245
Bomani Shakur (Keith Lamar)                              317-117
Jason Robb                                                            A308919
Ohio State Penitentiary

878 Coitsville-Hubbard Road

Youngstown, OH 44505
Staughton Lynd and Alice Lynd, attorneys and 
activists, have been active in the movement for 
justice for the Lucasville Five.  A current 
article from Staughton's ZSpace page: 
<http://www.zcommunications.org/hunger-strike-at-ohio-state-penitentiary-by-staughton-lynd>http://www.zcommunications.org/hunger-strike-at-ohio-state-penitentiary-by-staughton-lynd

This the facebook page for support of the 
strikers, which I got from Sharon Danann of the 
Lucasville Uprising Freedom Network in Cleveland:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_167034766673281




------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[email protected]?subject=laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to