Thousands protest in Jordan for third week

Suha Philip Ma'ayeh

Last Updated: Jan 29, 2011

AMMAN // For the third consecution on Friday, Jordanians poured into the
streets after noon prayers to protest against soaring prices and call for a
change in government.

The Islamist led opposition, professional associations and leftist activists
marched yesterday from Al Huesseini Mosque to the capital's centre. They
held banners that read "Corruption and normalisation are two faces of the
same coin," called for a "national unity government" and called for the
prime minister Samir Rifai to step down.

Police estimated 3,500 people took part in the protest, one of several
demonstrations held this month despite two recent government aid packages to
mitigate the impact of soaring prices. The measures included a 20-dinar
(Dh100) monthly salary increase for state workers and in pension, while the
previous aid package increased subsidies for some commodities, including
fuel and food staples such as rice and sugar.

Another 2,500 people also took to the streets in six other cities across the
country after the noon prayers yesterday. Those protests also called for Mr
Rifai's ouster.

"The economic situation is very bad," said Khaled al Malti, 25, an engineer
who lives in Amman. "We want the government to improve the economic and
political condition and to fight corruption. What happened in Tunisia and
Cairo have encouraged us to continue with our demands."

Ali Ghweri, 41, a taxi driver who took part in the protests, said the recent
moves made by the government were more like token gestures.

"We are paying lots of taxes. The government measures are only a drop in the
ocean."

 Jordanians blame the government for their eroding living conditions in a
country where official figures show 13.3 per cent of its citizens live below
the poverty line of 680 dinars a month, while unemployment stands at 12.9
per cent.

Last week, the government announced the 300-million-dinar economic package,
the second this month, to soften the impact of prices on Jordanians and said
it would continue to subsidise gas cylinders. Mr Rifai said last week there
would be no new taxes this year, but the measures failed to placate public
resentment.

King Abdullah II has promised some reforms, particularly on a controversial
election law. But many believe it is unlikely he will bow to demands for
popular election of the prime minister and Cabinet officials, traditionally
appointed by the king. "Things are so bad and the prime minister is not
doing anything. We need a decent life," said Basil Ahmad, 45, the owner of a
clothes shop in Amman.

 Members of the Muslim Brotherhood, Jordan's main opposition group, waved
their green flags and chanted: "God is great, the government must change,"
the "Quran is our constitution, Jihad is our way," "Jordanians are on fire,
prices are on fire," and called on Mr Rifai to "step away".

Ibrahim Alloush, an independent leftist activist, asked for a complete
change in the system.

"It is more crucial to change the way the country is being run. It's not a
question of changing faces," he said. "We have a rubber stamp parliament
that was chosen by the executive branch of government. People don't take it
very seriously. People are going down to the streets because they don't have
venues for venting out how they feel through legal means.
"I don't think change can be done with a magic wand. You have to you have to
work for it."
------------

  The Torture Career of Egypt's New Vice President: Omar Suleiman and the
Rendition to Torture Program
*By Stephen Soldz (about the
author)<http://www.opednews.com/author/author80.html>
*       Page 1 of 2 page(s)
[image: Become a Fan]

opednews.com <http://www.opednews.com/>

Hosni Mubarak has appointed his first Vice President in his over 30 years
rule, intelligence chief Omar Suleiman. When Suleiman was first announced, *
Aljazeera* commentators were describing him as a "distinguished" and
"respected " man. It turns out, however, that he is distinguished for, among
other things, his central role in Egyptian torture and in the US rendition
to torture program. Further, he is "respected" by US officials for his
cooperation with their torture plans, among other initiatives.

Katherine Hawkins, an
expert<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=824785>on
the US's rendition to torture program, in an email, has sent some
critical texts where Suleiman pops up. Thus, Jane Mayer, in *The Dark
Side<http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Inside-Terror-American/dp/0385526393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296347655&sr=8-1>
*, pointed to Suleiman's role in the rendition program:

Each rendition was authorized at the very top levels of both
governments....The long-serving chief of the Egyptian central intelligence
agency, Omar Suleiman,     negotiated directly with top Agency officials.
 [Former U.S. Ambassador to Egypt] Walker described the Egyptian
counterpart, Suleiman, as "very bright, very realistic," adding that he was
cognizant that there was a downside to "some of the negative things that the
Egyptians engaged in, of torture and so on. But he was not squeamish, by the
way" (pp. 113).

Stephen Grey, in *Ghost
Plane*<http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Plane-Rendition-Torture-Program/dp/B002ECEUSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296350988&sr=1-1>,
his investigative work on the rendition program also points to Suleiman as
central in the rendition program:

To negotiate these assurances [that the Egyptians wouldn't "torture" the
prisoner delivered for torture] the CIA dealt principally in Egypt through
Omar Suleiman, the chief of the Egyptian general intelligence service (EGIS)
since 1993. It was he who arranged the meetings with the Egyptian interior
ministry.... Suleiman, who understood English well, was an urbane and
sophisticated man. Others told me that for years Suleiman was America's
chief interlocutor with the Egyptian regime -- the main channel to President
Hosni Mubarak himself, even on matters far removed from intelligence and
security.
Suleiman's role in the rendition program was also highlighted in a *Wikileaks
*cable <http://cablesearch.org/cable/view.php?id=05CAIRO5924&hl=EGIS>:

 the context of the close and sustained cooperation between the USG and GOE
on counterterrorism, Post believes that the written GOE assurances regarding
the return of three Egyptians detained at Guantanamo (reftel) represent the
firm commitment of the GOE to adhere to the requested principles. These
assurances were passed directly from Egyptian General Intelligence Service
(EGIS) Chief Soliman through liaison channels -- the most effective
communication path on this issue. General Soliman's word is the GOE's
guarantee, and the GOE's track record of cooperation on CT issues lends
further support to this assessment. End summary.

Suleiman wasn't just the go-to bureaucrat for when the Americans wanted to
arrange a little torture. This "urbane and sophisticated man" apparently
enjoyed a little rough stuff himself.

Shortly after 9/11, Australian citizen Mamdouh Habib was captured by
Pakistani security forces and, under US pressure, torture by Pakistanis. He
was then rendered (with an Australian diplomats watching) by CIA operatives
to Egypt, a not uncommon practice. In Egypt, Habib merited Suleiman's
personal attention. As related by Richard
Neville<http://www.homepagedaily.com/Pages/article7178-the-torturers-apprentice.aspx>,
based on Habib's memoir:

Habib was interrogated by the country's Intelligence Director, General Omar
Suleiman.... Suleiman took a personal interest in anyone suspected of links
with Al Qaeda. As Habib had visited Afghanistan shortly before  9/11, he was
under suspicion. Habib was repeatedly zapped with high-voltage electricity,
immersed in water up to his nostrils, beaten, his fingers were broken and he
was hung from metal hooks.

That treatment wasn't enough for Suleiman, so:

To loosen Habib's tongue, Suleiman ordered a guard to murder a gruesomely
shackled Turkistan prisoner in front of Habib -" and he did, with a vicious
karate kick.

After Suleiman's men extracted Habib's confession, he was transferred back
to US custody, where he eventually was imprisoned at Guantanamo. His
"confession" was then used as evidence in his Guantanamo trial.

The *Washington Pos* t's intelligence correspondent Jeff Stein reported some
additional
details<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/spy-talk/2011/01/egypts_spy_chief_stands_in_the.html>regarding
Suleiman and his important role in the old Egypt the demonstrators
are trying to leave behind:

"Suleiman is seen by some analysts as a possible successor to the
president," the Voice of American
said<http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/Despite-Curfew-Egypt-Protests-Escalate-114807289.html>Friday.
"He earned international respect for his role as a mediator in
Middle East affairs and for curbing Islamic extremism."

 An editorialist at Pakistan's "International News"
predicted<http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=27859&Cat=9>Thursday
that "Suleiman will probably scupper his boss's plans [to install
his son], even if the aspiring intelligence guru himself is as young as 75."

Suleiman graduated from Egypt's prestigious Military Academy but also
received training in the Soviet Union. Under his guidance, Egyptian
intelligence has worked hand-in-glove with the CIA's counterterrorism
programs, most notably in the 2003 rendition from Italy of an al-Qaeda
suspect known as Abu
Omar<http://voices.washingtonpost.com/spy-talk/2010/10/italian_prosecutor_wants_stiff.html>
.

In 2009, Foreign Policy <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/> magazine
ranked<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/07/20/the_list_the_middle_easts_most_powerful_spies>Suleiman
as the Middle East's most powerful intelligence chief, ahead of
Mossad chief Meir Dagan.

In an observation that may turn out to be ironic, the magazine wrote, "More
than from any other single factor, Suleiman's influence stems from his
unswerving loyalty to Mubarak."

If Suleiman succeeds Mubarak and retains power, we will likely be treated to
plaudits for his distinguished credentials from government officials and US
pundits.  We should remember that what they really mean is his ability to
brutalize and torture. As Stephen Grey puts it:

But in secret, men like Omar Suleiman, the country's most powerful spy and
secret politician, did our work, the sort of work that Western countries
have no appetite to do ourselves.
    If Suleiman receives praise in the US, it will be because our leaders
know that he's the sort of leader who can be counted on to do what it takes
to restore order and ensure that Egypt remains friendly to US interests.

There are some signs, however, that the Obama administration may not accept
Suleiman's appointment. Today they criticized the rearrangement of the
chairs in Egypt's government. If so, that will be a welcome sign that the
Obama administration may have some limits beyond which it is hesitant to go
in aligning with our most brutal "friends."

We sure hope that the Egyptian demonstrators reject the farce of Suleiman's
appointment and push on to a complete change of regime. Otherwise the
Egyptian torture chamber will undoubtedly return, as a new regime
reestablishes "stability" and serves US interests.