http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=41101

[image: author photo]

*Erasmo Calzadilla:* My parents named me Erasmo 34 year ago, when I was
planted in a neighborhood of retired military personnel situated toward the
southern city limits of Havana. I don’t know why, but I’m impassioned with
thought, philosophy, art, science, friendship and music; in short,
everything good that has stirred the passions of humans, nature, and God –
or whoever was the creator. Actually I graduated in pharmacy, but I work as
a professor at institutions that believe in me and are welcoming. It is
important to highlight that I also hold a well-defined political position: I
am a bitter opponent of those who are bossy, abusive, and imposing, those
who believe they hold the truth, etc., independent of their attire. To them,
I occasionally dedicate a few angry words.

<http://www.havanatimes.org/author/erasmo>

 Cuba’s Double Standard April 7, 2011 | [image: Print This
Post]<http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=41101&print=1>
 *Print This Post* <http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=41101&print=1> [image:
Email to a Friend] <http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=41101&emailpopup=1> *Email
to a Friend* <http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=41101&emailpopup=1>

   -
   - 
3Share<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.havanatimes.org%2F%3Fp%3D41101&t=Cuba%E2%80%99s%20Double%20Standard%20-%20Havana%20Times.org&src=sp>


   -
   - 
Share3<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.havanatimes.org%2F%3Fp%3D41101&t=Cuba%E2%80%99s%20Double%20Standard%20-%20Havana%20Times.org&src=sp>

*Erasmo Calzadilla *

*Cuban political discourse and the island’s official media made such a huge
shift from the revolt in Egypt to the disorders in Libya that I began to
think: What’s behind all this?  We received daily reports from the country
of pyramids, and on the television news we frequently saw some youths
protesting in the plazas and others being cruelly repressed.*

However when Libya heated up with giant protests, they were hardly shown on
the TV screen, and nor was anything else heard (except when they were
carrying arms and seemed dangerous). The only thing spoken of were the ill
intentions of the western powers, and in the briefly shown images the Cuban
media prioritized the “leader’s followers” waving green flags and holding up
photos of Gaddafi the “brother leader.”

Curious about this change of attitude, I conducted a little research.  So
what did I discover?

Firstly, I found that almost all of the Arab nations coming to a boil —
including Libya and Syria — are currently “headed” by tyrants who have
transformed republican institutions into dynasties.  These are corrupt men
who, as corresponds in those cases, have cut civil rights down to the roots
and do their dealings employing extreme cruelty against their opponents
(today’s butcher shop is overwhelming proof), although these involve only
pacifist fighters.

Gaddafi, speaking in front of television cameras, ended up saying: “Those
who don’t love me deserve to die.”  Shouldn’t this incitement to violence be
enough to deny him any support?

The two “socialist republics” (Syria and Libya) are socialist in name only
(the high life expectancy rates are not indicators that socialism exists
there).  Gaddafi and Bashar al Assad are supported by minorities of the rich
and they maintain (or they have up to now) magnificent relations with the
“western empire” (to the point of supporting elections of right wing
politicians in Europe), and of late they have caught the privatization
fever.

And what else did I discover in my research?  Good heavens… that the
government of Cuba maintains magnificent relations with both.

*With Libya*

In 2010, the ambassador of the Great Socialist People’s Libyan Arab
Jamahiriya in Cuba described the relations between the two nations as
“excellent” and expressed his government’s interest in investing in our
country.

*And with Syria*

In 2001, Fidel Castro traveled to that “brother” country.

Later, in 2009, a Syrian delegation came to Cuba and that same year
representatives from the island returned the visit (led by Deputy Minister
of Foreign Relations Marcos Rodriguez Costa and the Cuban minister of
Foreign Investment and Economic Collaboration, Martha Lomas Morales).

In all these exchanges, 40 years of friendship were recognized and
recollections were made of the mutual support and cooperation in the face of
the monopolistic control of the western mass media.

In 2010, Raul Castro received Bashar al Assad on a state visit and as a
result they signed three bilateral cooperation agreements.

*Conclusion*: The government of Cuba has no conflicts with these capos.
 Since the revolts began, “our little pals” have been going around
slaughtering with no holds barred.  But it took an invasion by other sons of
b…… for the Cuban Friendship Institute (ICAP) to vigorously condemn anyone.
It seems that ICAP has confused who should be the recipient of friendship.

The statement by that institution says in one of its paragraphs: “We raise
our voices calling to prevent the murder of freedom.  What is at stake is
the independence and sovereignty of Arab peoples and of all human beings on
the planet.”

I don’t believe they’re lying.  But firstly, before freedom, people are
being murdered.  And secondly, why didn’t they say that before?


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAAMN: Los Angeles Alternative Media Network
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Digest: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help: <mailto:[email protected]?subject=laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post: <mailto:[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive1: <http://www.egroups.com/messages/laamn>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive2: <http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/laamn/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to