Anyone who thinks Assad will give assistance to those he is using cluster
bombs on, rockets, destroying cities, starving out and injuring, should ask
the people of Haiti how all the money the UN gave the government and NGO's
did not get to them.

Cort

SUN JAN 20, 2013 AT 09:31 PM PST
#UN reveals its real stand on #Syria, giving #Assad $500 million |
#UNPaysAssad<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/21/1180695/--UN-reveals-its-real-stand-on-Syria-giving-Assad-500-million-UNPaysAssad>

byClay Claiborne
<http://www.dailykos.com/user/Clay%20Claiborne>Follow<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/21/1180695/--UN-reveals-its-real-stand-on-Syria-giving-Assad-500-million-UNPaysAssad?showAll=yes#?friend_id=125110&is_stream=1>

   -

   -
   - 8 Comments / 0
New<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/21/1180695/--UN-reveals-its-real-stand-on-Syria-giving-Assad-500-million-UNPaysAssad#comments>

[image: Follow clayclai on Twitter] <http://twitter.com/clayclai>

 UN KILLS SYRIA 519M@*luv2live2* <https://twitter.com/luv2live2>

Rewards for crossing red-lines in #*Syria*<https://twitter.com/search/%23Syria>
@*UN* <https://twitter.com/UN>
#*UNpaysASSad*<https://twitter.com/search/%23UNpaysASSad> 519
MILLION DOLLARS for "aid" what a horrible world we live in
#*SYRIA*<https://twitter.com/search/%23SYRIA>
 20 Jan 13 <https://twitter.com/luv2live2/statuses/293156113367588866>

   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=293156113367588866>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=293156113367588866>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=293156113367588866>

At first I couldn't believe the tweets I was seeing. I mean, you can say
anything on twitter. You can say aliens have just landed. Don't make it
true.

The very idea that the United Nations was planning to give to the
government of Syria, and you know who that means, over $500 million dollars
with no real control, meaning really no strings attached, was to me so
incredible that at first I didn't believe it.

I have been saying for a long time that that world
body<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/14/1108553/-Does-Syria-s-Assad-have-something-on-Kofi-Annan>,
and even the United
States<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/14/1131569/-Barack-Obama-s-Courtship-of-Bashar-al-Assad>,
was in reality in Assad's corner, but this bold contribution to his war
effort surprised even me. I had to read it for myself in the UN Office for
the Coordination of Humantarian Affairs <http://www.unocha.org/>[OCHA]
Humanitarian
Assistance Response Plan for Syria (1 January - 30 June
2013)<http://www.unocha.org/cap/appeals/humanitarian-assistance-response-plan-syria-1-january-30-june-2013>

All humanitarian assistance is, and will continue to be, delivered with
full respect to the sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic during the
implementation of this Response Plan.
This Humanitarian Assistance Response Plan aims at supporting the
Government of Syria’s efforts in providing humanitarian assistance to the
affected populations.  It will cover the period from 1 January 2013 until
the end of June 2013.  The financial requirements amount to $519,627,047

  Rafif Jouejati@*RafifJ* <https://twitter.com/RafifJ>

FYI, #*LCC* <https://twitter.com/search/%23LCC> activists who deliver
relief assistance across #*Syria*
<https://twitter.com/search/%23Syria> routinely
targeted. We could use that $500M for flak
jackets.#*UNPaysAssad*<https://twitter.com/search/%23UNPaysAssad>
 20 Jan 13 <https://twitter.com/RafifJ/statuses/293086315912757248>

   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=293086315912757248>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=293086315912757248>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=293086315912757248>

Now of course, the *"Syrian government"* is suppose to use this money
for *"humanitarian
relief"* while its still bombarding neighborhoods, and they are suppose to
distributed it fairly, even to the hospitals that they are blowing up. And
I suppose if Bashar al-Assad violates these rules, fails to stay in power,
and finds himself in the Hague, they can add misappropriation of funds to
the other charges he'll be facing such as mass murder, genocide and wanton
destruction of many world heritage sites.

  Mouna Hashem منى ☪†@*mannoush* <https://twitter.com/mannoush>

ASSad is creating a new army of 10,000 thugs directed by Iranian experts to
crush the Syrian revolution funded by #*UN*<https://twitter.com/search/%23UN>
 $519M#*UNpaysAssad* <https://twitter.com/search/%23UNpaysAssad>
 20 Jan 13 <https://twitter.com/mannoush/statuses/293086499581329408>

   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=293086499581329408>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=293086499581329408>
   - ** <https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=293086499581329408>

Other than that, *its all good*. Once these 500 clams are in his pocket, he
can do with them pretty much as he likes. I mean, he has already shown how
easily and throughly he can bully the UN on the ground.

And in case you think this money will find its way to NGOs that really are
government independent in Syria, theInternational NGO Training and Research
Centre <http://intrac.org/> has produced a 12 page report The NGO sector in
Syria - an overview <http://t.co/HXQnbDfM>that you should take a look at:

*"NGOs in Syria are required by law to register with the Ministry of Social
Affairs and Labour (MOSAL)."*

*This "normalization of relations" with a government that is daily
slaughtering its own people is a very dangerous thing for all of us!*

The Syrian Institute for Progress (SIP) is asking you to petition President
Barack
Obama<http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-u-n-from-using-the-syrian-government-to-hypocritically-manage-the-assistance-plan-for-syria?utm_campaign=action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign>
to:

Stop the U.N. from using the Syrian Government to hypocritically manage the
Assistance Plan for Syria.
*Press Release about the Humanitarian Assistance Response Plan for Syria 19
January
2013<http://www.unocha.org/cap/appeals/humanitarian-assistance-response-plan-syria-1-january-30-june-2013>
*
The Syrian Coalition (SC) appreciates all efforts to provide aid and
assistance to the needy of the Syrian people, especially in the difficult
times they are experiencing for nearly two years now. The decision to
allocate the amount of $ 519 million for Syrians inside Syria, as part of
the Humanitarian Assistance Response Plan launched by the United Nations on
19 December 2012, is one the most important of those efforts; however, the
coalition expresses its deep concern about the management of this aid, or
whether it reaches the real needy inside Syria.

The plan* states that it aims at "supporting the Government of Syria’s
efforts in providing humanitarian assistance to the affected populations,"
and that a “Steering Committee” will be “chaired by the Vice-Minister for
Foreign Affairs and Expatriates (or whomever he delegates)" and that “The
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates is the [Syrian] Government
focal point in charge of the supervision of implementation of humanitarian
projects" in addition to other administrative and logistical tasks!

The SC sees a clear contradiction in dealing with the Syrian regime as a
legitimate government doing its job like any other government, at the same
time that the United Nations and its various institutions issues reports
holding the regime responsible for the serious deterioration of the
humanitarian situation in Syria, including the current government that was
assigned by the head of the regime based on his interests! The SC wonders
how it can be committed to neutrality if it doesn’t have an independent
decision? Is it logical to provide aid to a regime responsible for
destroying cities, bombing hospitals and bakeries and displacing
population, so it can fix the dire situation it had created!

Moreover, preliminary results of the assessment conducted by the Aid
Coordinating Unit (ACU) last weeks show an almost complete inability to
deliver the aid provided by the United Nations or other international
organizations to the northern regions through Damascus. What was delivered
hardly covers ten percent of the original need, taking in consideration
that more than ten million people live in those areas, ie. nearly half the
population of Syria.

The ACU of the Syrian Coalition is working on providing aid to all Syrian
people without distinction or discrimination, and confirms its commitment
to humanitarian laws and international conventions in this regard. The SC
expects to receive the help and support pledged by the States that have
recognized it, and fulfil their promises through supporting the ACU to
assist it in assuming the tasks expected from it.

The SC also demands that the humanitarian aid to the widows and orphans,
the hungry, wounded and displaced in Syria, should not be delivered to them
through the same party that caused their suffering and pain, for it would
be an added humiliation and degradation.

For further information contact the Media Office at me...@etilaf.org

*Please Sign the
Petition<http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-u-n-from-using-the-syrian-government-to-hypocritically-manage-the-assistance-plan-for-syria?utm_campaign=action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign>
*

 Ḱ@яℯℯм ℒαḯł@н@*KareemLailah* <https://twitter.com/KareemLailah>

This picture was taken 30 minutes before those kids were murdered by mortar
shells in Homs. #*Syria* <https://twitter.com/search/%23Syria>
pic.twitter.com/wbzIaneU <http://t.co/wbzIaneU>
 <https://twitter.com/KareemLailah/statuses/293037206426251264>
 20 Jan 13 <https://twitter.com/KareemLailah/statuses/293037206426251264>

   - ***Reply*<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=293037206426251264>
   - ***Retweet*<https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=293037206426251264>
   -
***Favorite*<https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=293037206426251264>

Click here for a list of my other Daily Kos dairies on
Syria<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/24/1173518/-My-Syria-diaries>