From: "Linda Walton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lace Chat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 4:59 AM
Subject: Re: [lace-chat] Left/right/north/south

> Dear Jean, and Lacemakers,
>

> > There was a programme on TV the other night about the
effect the moon has
> on
> > the earth. It had never occured to me until it was
mentioned in that
> > programme that in the southern hemisphere the sun and
moon travel across
> the
> > sky from right to left instead of from left to right as
it does in the
> > northern hemisphere. I'd find that very disorientating.
> > (snip)
> >
> > Jean in Poole
> >

> No! No!  The television people have got things confused
again.

> I asked my husband, who instructs in astronomy and gliding
in his spare
> time, and he sent this message:-
>
> "The Sun still rises in the East and sets in the West in
the Southern
> hemisphere, it is that it is in the North, not the South
that seem to
> confuse people.
>
> "I remember when I was with the WRC we had a young
Australian guy working
> for
> us (some sort of holiday job IIRC) and he turned up hours
late to a site in
> the
> Midlands. It emerged that he had got totally lost because
the Sun
> was in the South, not the North.
>
> "I've asked gliding people and they claim not to be
bothered as the Sun is
> virtually overhead in SA and Oz, and they use GPS in any
case."

> Think about it:  the Earth goes round as a whole sphere.
There would only
> be the effect of seeing the Sun going in opposite
directions if the Earth
> were divided at the Equator and the Northern Hemisphere
were going in the
> opposite direction to the Southern Hemisphere.
>
> However, if the Sun were, say, over the Equator, it would
look as if it were
> in the North if you were below the Equator, and as if it
were in the South
> if you were above the Equator.
>
> If you can remember the details of that television
programme, I think you
> should send them a crisp feedback message!
>
> Best wishes,
> Linda Walton,
> (in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.,
> where I can't see the Sun at all due to heavy fog,
> which makes me feel so disinclined to start the things I
ought to be doing).

> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line: