I have my mother's button box - a round metal container which has all sorts
of odd buttons in it, like metal buttons which look as if they have come
from military uniforms, and the sort which attached temporarily, with
clips, like the old ones used on nurses' uniforms.  Most of Mother's
buttons either are, or match, blue (her favourite colour)...  a lovely
memory of her.

Some years ago, I took all the mother-of-pearl buttons out of the box, and
put them into a plastic jar - this has now grown into a jar and a couple of
tins, as I add more doll-sized buttons.

When I started knitting doll clothes, I bought tiny buttons wherever I
could, and always bought more than I could use.  These I filed in flat
plastic cheeseboxes with clear lids, which pile up conveniently.  Now, with
our town's only haberdashery shop closed, I am more than grateful for my
'pack-rat' tendencies, as I can nearly always find buttons to match the
wool I'm using!

Erica, in autumnal Hokitika, New Zealand, where the days are colder, but
the weather can't seem to make up its mind...

Westland District Library
Hokitika, New Zealand
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit our website at http://www.minidata.co.nz/westlib