On 6 May 2004, at 14:31, Esther Perry wrote:

island - Kirrin island - or when they were all off on camping holidays. I
read

....and this line rings a loud bell.
I also remember something about pirates and caves.
Do you know the author and title(s) for this series,

Enid Blyton was the author - I learned to read with her books.
Starting with Noddy and Big Ears in Toyland (with the little yellow car) and various fairytale type short stories, progressing to The Secret Seven, Famous Five and then Mallory Towers and the Adventure series.

Secret Seven was about a 'club' of seven children and their antics, Famous Five Jacqui has already described, my favourite too; I even had my hair cropped a la George style, but they started when the character children were 10-12 years old and with an adventure every school holiday and half-term they must have been in their mid twenties and still at school by the end of the series! Mallory Towers was about girls in a boarding school and the Adventure of ...... was about a rather middle class family of children. IIRC one of those was about getting trapped in underground caves an passages in Africa and getting away by convincing their sun worshipping captors that they had damaged the sun by throwing stones at it just as a solar eclipse was about to start!

Apart from the Famous Five I can't remember any of the character names.

Enid Blyton used to write her own weekly children's magazine which my Dad used to buy for me on his way home from work. Short stories and a chapter a week of the longer books. I still remember the anguish I felt when Enid Blyton announced that she was retiring and that there would be no more of those magazines. Other comic papers weren't the same - and I've read very little fiction since.

Brenda
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/