Jane wrote:

<If only the powers that be in 'charge' would actually see what is
happening across this great country, if only they themselves would
experience a bit of these circumstances, perhaps we really would be a
great country.>

Don't think so. It's the same here. A couple of times politicians have tried
to live on Job Seeker's Allowance (unemployment benefit) or as a single
parent with a couple of children holding down a couple of low-paid jobs
(because that's all that's available to them), and found it impossible. But
it hasn't made any difference.

When politicians are voted out of office (and sometimes while they're still
in) they get paid directorships and consultancy work through the connections
they've made, as well as a nice pension. So why should they worry about the
rest of us. Tony's got his retirement home organised in one of the best
parts of London.

I think they reckon on at least three career changes in a person's working
life now. There's no job security any more. Company pension schemes are
being withdrawn, the stock market isn't doing too well for private pensions
and people are getting into debt and not caring about it. Those who need
help can only get credit at loan shark rates, and if they get extra help
from Social Security (like to buy a cooker), they have to pay the money back
out of what welfare they get.

Help isn't targeted to those in need, so I get free loft insulation and
cavity wall insulation because of my illness, even though I can afford to
pay for it myself, but someone who needs it doesn't get it because they
don't know about it. But if people like me don't claim it, these schemes
will stop because they're underused. All I can do is spread the word to
people I know can do with help and who otherwise would know it's available.
(In the UK, look up British Gas at http://www.house.co.uk then improve your
home, energy efficiency, schemes and initiatives, Warm a Life - energy
efficiency programme for households on goverment benefits, which includes
the lowest rate DLA - that's how I qualified - and even the smallest amount
of Pension Credit. You don't have to be a British Gas customer).

The state pension isn't enough to live on, so you need some form of extra
income like interest from savings or an occupational or private pension, but
most in their 70s and 80s haven't got that. It's recognised that it costs
more to live as you get older, so when you reach 65 and 75 you can keep more
of your money before tax (that's assuming you get enough to have to begin
paying tax) and when you reach 80 you get an extra 25 pence a week (won'
even buy a loaf of bread)

DH and I are fortunate in that we both had secure jobs with good pension
schemes, and we made additional provision. So that now we're both retired,
we don't have to worry. I certainly wouldn't like to be starting out trying
decide a career path, buy a home and have a family now.

Jean in Poole