On May 30, 2005, at 3:41, Jenny Barron wrote:
that sounds interesting Tamara, I loved Robert Van Gulik's Judge Dee series set in 7th century China
I liked those too, but like these better :)
- are there many books in the series?
9 so far: 1) Shinju, 2) Bundori, 3) The Way of the Traitor, 4) The Concubine's Tattoo, 5) The Samurai's Wife, 6) Black Lotus, 7) The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria, 8) The Dragon King's Palace and 9) The Perfumed Sleeve.
At least... There may be 10, but only 9 are available in paperback. And I can't check, because the last one is still on its way to me (usually, the paperback has a preeview of the forthcoming hardback). I had confirmation that it had been sent, so it seemed safe enough to start reading the series; the books are fairly long, and, with luck, the last one will reach me by the time I'm ready for it <g>
Is it also a trait of lacemakers that we have to read books in order<g>.
Probably nothing to do with lacemaking and all to do with personality traits (I'm a tad obsessive <g>), but I like to read a series in order. I'm as much interested in the life and development of the recurring characters, as I am in the central plot/mystery (possibly even more <g>). And, given my bad memory, I'm not likely to make much sense of that, unless I read the books in order.
When I came accross The Way of the Traitor at my library, it looked interesting and I checked it out. Only to discover that it was the 3rd in a series, and the library didn't have the first two... :( So, I bought them, read them, then gave them to the library *before* checking out #3 again and finally reading it :) Afterwards, I made sure I read each book as it came out - or so I thought. But, recently, I discovered #8 on the new books shelf, and found that I had missed #7. And, again, the library didn't have it... Enough was enough, and I decided to get the whole series for myself. It'll now be always to hand if I want to check a detail, and I won't have to watch the library shelves, but the lists of new stuff on Amazon or Barnes and Noble (and then can order it from my local bookstore).
Same story on another favourite mystery series of mine: Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendeur series (12thc France mostly, but one book was set in England and one in Germany). Of the 7 books (published as paperbacks) to date, I've read 5 and now own 5 (but not the same 5 <g>). The remaining 2 are on their way to me. When I've finished reading about Ichiru and Reiko (his wife), I'll enjoy reacquainting myself with Catherine and Edgar (her husband). In proper order :)
-- Tamara P Duvall http://t-n-lace.net/ Lexington, Virginia, USA (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland) To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
