Well, don't be complacent, Ruth. The next time could be really bad, depending on where the sting happens and how many insects are involved. There might not be time to get to the emergency room. Carrying the anti-venin would seem to be a small thing to do if it could make the difference between leaving your family suddenly or being around to see the great-grandkids.

36 years ago, I was stung by a yellow-jacket when my foot moved over its burrow in a park. It just hurt like crazy, and left a pit in my skin that's still there.

About 18 years ago, I was stung by yellow-jackets (living in a wooden retaining wall) as I left a classroom building. Being encumbered at the time with paint cans, I couldn't brush at them or make a speedy retreat. I only got stung a couple of times, but the sting spot swelling kept getting bigger day by day rather than smaller. In about 3 days it had gotten to maybe 4 inches across, and my allergy doctor put me on steroids.

About 4 or 5 years ago I got stung by yellow-jackets again - this time about 12 times, in my own back yard, living under a railroad tie that edged my garden where I was pulling weeds. I immediately called my allergy doctor and got a prescription for the steroids phoned in, because I just didn't feel like finding out how bad it could get.The spot kept growing until I was able to fetch the pills and start taking them. Some things I just don't need to experience to the full.

Tamara, don't assume Danek is safe. He may well now be sensitized, and the next time he may react.

I've lived for years with kids so sensitive to nuts that walking into a room where they've been served in brownies is enough to make throats start to close up - so I figure an injected venom is nothing to fool around with.
--
----------------------------------------------------------
Martha Krieg   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  in Michigan

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to