Hi,

The recipe that I have from my mother does not contain rice flour. It
uses plain flour, All Purpose to those in the States.

Shortbread
8 ozs. plain flour
4 ozs icing sugar (confectioners sugar I think in the States)
8 ozs butter
pinch of salt (I usually omit this)

Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Farheneit.

Sift sugar and salt, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy,
work in the flour, knead lightly into a dough. Press out into a round
about 3/4 inch thick and prick over with a fork. I cut through marking
the round into sections with a knife before baking. Bake in the centre
of an oven at 355 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until biscuit
coloured, (light golden). Dust with caster sugar when cooled.

The dough can be pressed or rolled out and cookie cutters used to cut
rounds of the dough. When I make shortbread biscuits I use the above
recipe and roll to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. The cooking time
needs adjusting perhaps only 8 minutes for cut shapes of this
thickness.

Maybe I will make shortbread next week for our next lace meeting as
it's my turn to provide the refreshments.

Eve
London, UK.