Janice,

My husband is also addicted to Sudoku (or Sod You - OK) as I am tending to
call it .....

However, if you go into the site www.sudoku.org.uk Michael Meopham has a
piece on tips and hints of how to solve the puzzle, along with various
immutable facts to help you on your way - and it would appear that guessing
is not necessary!    Apparently, according to Dearly Beloved, they work,
though sometimes I can't really understand why.    But I prefer the
Crosswords in the Daily Telegraph, so maybe I'm not the best person to give
an opinion.

However - do try the site, and print off the hints and tips - certainly John
has found it quite useful!

Carol - in Suffolk UK

Subject: [lace-chat] Soduku

.  Is there another way of looking at the puzzle to fill the blanks or do I
just have to guess?  If I do get frustrated and decide to guess, you can bet
your life that I find that I have the same number already in that line.  At
that point I give up and decide to get on with my day.  Any suggestions on
how to approach the difficult puzzles will be gratefully accepted and tried.