"anyone know an easy way of removing the labels from the back"

WD40?!?!?

Seriously though, I think you may need a solvent of some sort to remove the
glue as it's likely to be the sort that can be put on by machine - and not
water soluble if the material is really dry clean only or the wetness of the
glue
might have affected the fabric.

Having got the glue off, I would go with Avital on this one to then remove
the solvent.  An awful lot of clothes, for example, say dry clean only and you
read the label and it's 100% polyester or whatever.  I then usually give them a
wool wash first, and then revert to the 'normal' wash for that fabric.  I
think it's the manufacturers covering themselves against the 'boil it and hot
tumble dry' fanatics.  If they shrink a tid you'll still probably have bigger
bits than if you have to cut the label off.

Jacquie