Answers to two threads.

First bugs:  I would also query the parental example theory of terror of bugs
(and other creepy crawlies) as I am fairly immune to most and can quite
happily pick up in my hands (bearing in mind that none of the UK ones are
poisonous) spiders, beetles, worms, frogs and toads and slow worms (a legless
lizard
that looks like a small snake, found in warm compost heaps).

But two of my three children (one son, one daughter) are absolutely terrified
of them.  Certainly not from me or my ex.

As DH keeps bees we do get the occasional one in the house.  The easiest way
to remove them is to wait till they are on a window, put a glass over them and
then slide a piece of paper between the glass and the glass and carry them
out.  Don't do them with my bare hands!  Not afraid of them but I do respect
them, and if they sting they die.

And bags:  I would say that the meaning is a bit stronger than choose, more
"I saw it first and it's mine".  Not negotiable.  Or at least, that was how my
elder sister interpreted it!

Jacquie in Lincolnshire