In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>Answers to two threads.
>
>First bugs:  I would also query the parental example theory of terror of bugs
>(and other creepy crawlies) as I am fairly immune to most and can quite
>happily pick up in my hands
>But two of my three children (one son, one daughter) are absolutely terrified
>of them.  Certainly not from me or my ex.

My fear of spiders has nothing to do with my parents - being the
youngest of four (the others 9, 8 and 6 years older) I picked up my fear
from my sister (6 years older), but strangely enough not the fear of
moths and fluttery things from my eldest sister.

As to the spiders, I found out a few years ago that the reason my sister
was afraid of them was that whilst out potato picking (when the family
lived in Stamford, Lincs, years before they moved to Birmingham where I
was born) my brother had fallen over and cut his knee quite badly on a
stone. He told my sister that a spider had bitten him... so she
naturally assumed that spiders were to be afraid of. I don't mind tiny
"money spiders", and can now stand getting close enough to put a clear
plastic cup over and use card to collect whatever spider, beetle, etc
into it, but only since the girls were born and I had to do so if DH was
working. Before that, I can remember standing outside my bedroom crying
for twenty minutes before Mom came up to remove two large hairy beasts
(spiders) from my bedroom ceiling (I was about 20 at the time!) and one
night asking if my neighbour's husband could come and remove one (DH was
working a late shift) - only to discover that he was more scared than I
was, and he got his wife to come and shift it!

Justification came when Mother in Law, watching a programme about
spiders that said you could pick the big ones up and they wouldn't bite,
later did so, and it promptly bit her! Fortunately we don't have
poisonous ones, but the bites can be nasty.

You can imagine what my response was to my eldest daughter wanting a
tarantula (she isn't scared of spiders - though moths, woodlice,
beetles, etc will all get well and truly screamed at).

--
Jane Partridge