What about cheating: use the sewing machine but with invisible  thread?

Agnes Boddington - Ellougthon  UK
www.sixpennybobbins.co.uk

The only disagreement I have is with the  word 'cheating'. There are no rules
in Lace Making only tradition and personal  preference. You should do
whatever you think is appropriate to you as a  lacemaker. If you enjoy
lacemaking as
I do as a man but have great difficulty in  sewing on a button I only care
that my lace is complete and on display. Some  lacemakers need to decide what
is
more important, making lace or the importance  of the method of sewing. If you
are really bothered then make lace that doesn't  need any sewing of middles.

Iain