In e-mail, spam is unsolicited bulk e-mail.

Lace and Lace-Chat are bulk e-mail, but they are
solicited, and therefore are not spam.

(Messages from people who cracked our mailing list,
and messages from people who joined under false
pretenses, are not solicited and are spam.)

The letter from your long-lost cousin or a person
responding to something you said on the Web is
unsolicited, but it's not bulk e-mail, so it is not spam.

The bombardment of e-mails from an acquaintance who
just *has* to forward every anecdote, lame joke,
urban legend, and fake warning he can dig up to
everybody in his address book is as annoying as [EMAIL PROTECTED],
but you *did* give him your e-address.  It isn't spam
until he starts harvesting addresses from people he
doesn't know.  (But "Stop spamming me!" is a
reasonable figure of speech.  (Leastways it's more
reasonable than taking a bolt cutter to his data
cable.))

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/