From: Susan Reishus <elationrelat...@yahoo.com>
To: l...@dont.panix.com
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 9:13:47 PM
Subject: [lace] 2 pins/2 pence, but only 1 needle

"In 19th century USA, pins were used as an informal monetary unit..." Alice
Along with Alice and Robin, it occurred to me that "two pins" were originally
"two pence."
Like here people often interchange "A long row to hoe" with "A long road to
tow."  I have no idea which precedes.
Since we are on the subject of pins, I have to ask a question that has kept
popping up in my mind for some time, and if anyone would know, it would most
likely be on this list.
When I was a child, I remember reading a story of a young girl who had to
carry the one sewing needle the area had, to someone else to have a chance to
do their sewing, and of course inadvertently she dropped it (and then I am
sure found it).
Perhaps it was my unconscious predisposition to needlework, or care I used to
take to all things so they would last forever, but the story impacted me.  I
believe it may have been a story from early US history.
Does it ring any bells anyone?  I would really like to find it and share it
with my daughter.  It also seems timely since so many nowadays think of
everything as so disposable, and having one of something and caring for and
sharing it would be more substantiation in my connection with children.
TIA,Susan Reishus

-
arachnemodera...@yahoo.com