Hi David and Spiders
I don't know, this old guy might have been only 58
when this sort of story first started coming out but I
reckon he's a bit older now. For instance I'm 62 - a
little older than you, David - born at the end of WWll
and:-
> ' television
- originally started in the 1930s
> ' penicillin
- discovered before I was born, I think
> ' radar
- invented during WWll - they had it as a new
invention at Pearl Harbor, according to the film
"Tora, Tora, Tora"
> Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . And
> then lived together.
- I lived with a man I wasn't married to and we had a
baby in 1969 - all of 38 years ago
> Every family had a father and a mother.
- plenty of widows with children in those days
> Until I was 25, I called every man older than me,
> "Sir." And after I
> turned 25, I still called policemen and every man
> with a title, "Sir."
- after 10 years of having to address teachers as
"sir" the lads I grew up with vowed they'd never use
the title again - I knew guys who'd had to do National
Service in the Forces who felt the same way
> We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny,
- come on - Rock 'n' Roll started in the mid-fifties
when you and this grandad were only 6 or 7 years old.
> If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it
> was junk.
- Now that I DO remember!
> And we were the last generation to actually believe
> that a lady
> needed a husband to have a baby.
- I can recall at least 2 women of my Mother's
generation who had illegitemate children and although
I come from a working-class background it was a
"respectable" area.
Sorry for the nitpicking - I really enjoy the jokes on
this list from David and everyone else (DH hates it
cos I laugh out loud and then won't tell him what I'm
laughing at). But I think this particular one is just
an example of "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be" -
people always looking back to the "good old days"
which might have been better in some ways but were
certainly worse in others.
I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to lurking
Hazel in Oude Wetering, Netherlands
(formerly of Southampton, UK)
___________________________________________________________
Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo! Mail.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]