We picked up the Christmas turkey from a farmer this afternoon, apart from that and some fresh potatoes/salad picked up from another local farm stall, the rest of my Christmas dinner will come out of the freezer or larder. I grow a lot of my own fruit and veg, and by this time of the year I start to use these up and slowly empty my freezer, so I can clean it around Easter; ready for filling up again. So there'll be blackcurrant sauce to go with the turkey; peas, green beans, apple sauce, sweetcorn etc. etc.; a christmas pudding I made two years ago, home-made mincemeat for the pies (label says Oct 2005).

I did have to go to the shop today to buy some more tissues, as we had depleted each and everyone between us with our sniffles and sneezes, and like you I cannot believe how much food people are buying: do they really expect to eat all that in one day? Many supermarkets here are opening on boxing day, and son's girlfriend is one of the "victims" who will have to turn up for work on that day at 10am; which means husband has to drive them back to Nottingham
in the early morning.

Mind you, the flu has completely robbed me of my taste: I cooked a beef chilli tonight, and my husband found it quite spicy, yet I could not
taste a thing. Should be a good excuse for a diet at Christmas?

Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK

The supermarkets are only closing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but even last week trolleys were piles so high you'd think there was going to be a month long siege, and that's in addition to what they've been buying in the way of biscuits, sweets, alcohol and other stuff that will keep, since the beginning of September.



To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to