Telex machines...............  yes 

`1965 I was on holiday in Spain .  My UK A level results were posted 
[snailmail] to my home in Sussex, permission given to Grandma to open and 
telephone results to Dads London office. Secretary Telexed results to a 
colleagues branch office in Malaga. I travelled to Malaga to get results.
I was thrilled to get the results on the same day that they arrived at my home 
and proud that my Dad could arrange such a thing ...........................  
thing is , looking back, why was it not possible just to telephone through to 
my Gran from Spain?? I remember international phonecalls being really tricky 
things.

The other thing I remember now, is that we were absolutely able to rely on the 
post arriving on the morning and at the time we expected and so were able to 
set up the chain of communications in advance.

As for steel nibbed pens and inkwells..... heaps of memories 
there................... but can anyone begin to imagine a class of 8 yr olds 
today being allowed pots of ink and pens to write with - and the ink didnt wash 
out either did it??

Phil

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to