The one time I got a peek into my granny's attic, I saw that
she had a curtain over each storage shelf to keep out dust
and light. The curtain rods, as near as I can reconstruct
from that one glimpse, were strings tightly stretched
between two nails.
There are, or used to be, rods meant for the window in a
door -- you put one at top and one at bottom to keep the
curtain from flopping around when the door was opened and
closed.
On 2/18/11 9:43 AM, Clay Blackwell wrote:
There are fittings to put in this hole to make it look
nicer, . . .
In radio-license class last week, I was told that the
grommets in wire-holes are functional as well as ornamental
-- they keep the edges of the hole from damaging the cables.
'Course, the horrible example shown was a bunch of power
cables shoved through a tin-snip hole in sheet metal. I
doubt that a hole in wood would be a problem, particularly
if one chamfers the edges -- which also makes it look nicer.
DH recently redid his desk, and pointed out that it's
important to buy the grommet first and drill the hole after.
I believe that my "study center" has a plain hole in the
Masonite back for the
electric-typewriter cord.
Hey! Now that we have flat-screen monitors, I could use
that desk again! But the keyboard shelf is 27" from the
floor and the cardboard box I've been temporarily using ever
since we moved in ten years ago is 21 1/2" -- I'd have to go
back to using a footstool. Perhaps I should have DH
duplicate the box in wood, and put shelves inside. But over
the years, I've taken things off the box that add up to
two or three inches; if I continue to want the keyboard
lower as time goes on, it would be annoying to have it on a
nice piece of furniture. (On the other hand, I could have
him make it too short and resume using the package of
ledger paper.)
--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
http://home.comcast.net/~debeeson/DaveCam/
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
where it's bright and sunny and most of the snow is gone.
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003