Hi!
Recently someone wrote in and asked what the differences were between Idrija
and Russian tape laces.  I've been thinking about that ever since, and
decided to answer.  What I'm about to say is based on books, so it is useful
only so far as the books accurately reflect the tradition.  For Russian I
use DMC's Die Kloeppelspitzen vol 2.  For Idrija Cook and Tratnik.  And Lia
Baumeister for Schneeberger.

In Russian tape turning stitch is done CTC, and the pair nearest the mass of
other passives returns to the edge as weaver.  One uses careful tension
control to keep the passives flowing smoothly.  Idrija does turning stitch
CTCTC and uses the pair nearest the central passives as weaver.  Russian
seems to avoid sharp turns in its designs, Idrija uses them often.  In
Idrija sharp turns often involve sewing the weaver inside the sharp turn
itself.  Also sewings often occur at the deepest valley of a turn.  Russian
does sewings when the tapes are far apart and need attachment, or
occasionally when they are close, for stability.  Idrija often adds a single
pair around the outer perimeter of the lace, so that a tape may have varying
numbers of pairs:  6 perhaps for most of it, but 7 when the tape is making
the outer edge of the lace itself.  In this situation Schneeberger would use
a braid (plait) around the outer perimeter, instead of the single pair of
Idrija.  My impression is that Schneeberger does turns more like Russian.
Russian usually has a tape with a constant number of pairs, and a constant
width.  When the tape widens Russian usually switches to half stitch because
it is so expandable.  In the same situation Idrija and Schneeberger switch
to wholestitch (doublestitch TCTC or CTCT) with extra twists on the weaver
to take up space and expand the tape width.  Russian goes for large areas
with complex braid based (plaited) grounds in large pieces like tablecloths.
The published patterns for Idrija and Schneeberger don't.  But this may be a
factor only for published designs intended for modern lacemakers who don't
want to spend a year on something.  I have no idea at all about historical
pieces of these forms.  One can see historical Russian laces in some books
published in Russian by Aurora Press which have photos of museum pieces.
These were often bed linens and towels.  I don't recall seeing tablecloths.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who might want to add to this, or
clarify.
Lorelei

unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]