In a message dated 7/22/03 10:45:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Dear Jeri,
 is there no way to let the publisher know how bad the book is?  isnt there
 any action we can take to prevent the damage such a book can do to our art?
 it is sad enough something horrible like you described can be published at
 all!
 Ingrid in sunny Arizona

-----
Dear Ingrid,

Avital answered your questions perfectly.  What I found interesting is that
only 3 people wrote to me personally about the book!

There is always the possibility the author will realize she needs to learn
more - and that she might be in the Lace Identification class at the IOLI
convention.  This is the course I am taking.  In public, I decided to give the
author some wiggle room, but also warn people who would be buying books at IOLI.

I find it incredible that she has not been influenced by members of one of
the oldest chapters of The Embroiderers' Guild of America, and by lacemakers, in
her state!

A good friend of this list looked at the book and said she would buy it for
the pictures.  So, there you go.  If you buy a book for lace collectors, with a
price guide, I should think you'd like to know the text is accurate.  But,
that is not always the case.

You were given enough clues to avoid the book, if accuracy is important to
you.  This is as graceful as I can be on the subject.  (There is another clue in
this last sentence.)

Regards,
Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center