Some time ago we were talking about grids for fans - my copy of "Lace"
arrived this morning, and there is a grid on the green pages, as Deborah
promised.

In general email chatter to Deborah (Robinson), I suggested that an
article on mounting fans would be useful - I have one student with a
completed fan to mount (but not exactly urgently; she has decided to do
something else for the show in a fortnight's time... phew!!!), another
with one in progress, and having never really had the urge to make one
myself.... I did find a couple of suggestions - or rather, hints on how
to - in some old Lace Guild magazines, (couldn't see anything at all in
the old copies of "The Lacemaker" that I have, but I probably gave up
faster out of frustration of there being no contents page) but no real
"this is how to go about it" instruction.  I think the bits that have
stuck in my memory must have been from old Arachne discussions!

Any tips in the meantime would be welcomed. I know that Christine
Springett somewhere or other mentions wallpaper paste - and my instinct
was to steer clear of glue; but then I found an article about a fan made
as a City & Guilds part 2 project in which advice was sought from
Jacqueline Hyman (a UK conservation expert) who, as the lacemaker wanted
to use glue, recommended PVA.  One set of instructions my (completed
fan) student has is a little confusing, saying to trace the stick plan
onto sew-in interfacing and to tack (baste) the lace to it - there is no
reference either to the type (ie light, medium or firm) of interfacing
to buy, or as to whether or not it is to be removed before mounting!  I
assume it is used to help the lace to form into the folds required. (I
can't remember if this is on a pattern she has recently purchased, with
fan sticks, from Fountains, or on the pattern she used to start with.)

Anyway, Deborah has asked me to pass on the following query (she doesn't
have time to keep up with the list at the moment) - if any UK (or
elsewhere) Arachnes can help, you can either reply to me or to Deborah
herself at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.
 Could you ask on
Arachne if anyone knows the whereabouts of Sue Godsmark, formerly of Essex? Ann
Allison sent me a photo of a peacock fan that she made as an adaptation of SG's
pattern that was sold in aid of the Essex Cancer Scanner Fund about 20 years ago.
She's a lapsed member of the LG. My letter to her was returned by the PO, but we
think she's still alive.

--
Jane Partridge