Marcie wrote:

<A greedy (or uncaring)
publisher or uncaring (or hateful) relative could bury our work in much
the same way as Miss Channer's work is being buried... for nearly 3/4 of
a century after we die, or longer if a corporation can get hold of the
copyright! I appreciate Vivienne and other's wish to make a fair return
on their work and I would never advocate copying a *living* author's
work, but for heaven's sake do you really want your *legacy* consigned
to obscurity at the whim of someone else?>

If you register your book for Public Lending Right in the UK (an author is
paid an extremely small pittance every time a book is borrowed from a public
library to make up for loss of royalties) there is a reminder that you need
to assign this to a person or organisation in your will. I contacted a
lawyer friend, and asked about copyright. As a result, in my will my Public
Lending Right, any royalties being earned if my books are still in print,
and the copyright on them are assigned to the British Heart Foundation (a
charity researching into heart disease) on my death, purely because DH
survived 2 heart attacks. That way someone continues to benefit regardless
of what the publisher or my relatives want. It's my right to decide. It's
not a lot in monetary terms, but every little helps.

I don't think many authors or artists have thought that their work forms
part of their estate and therefore don't think about including it in their
will.

Jean in Poole