Carol and the spiders (that always sounds like a rock band),

I've been thinking about this all afternoon now and feeling really rotten to
be Casandra standing the market place here.

What I will say is that I think there are more events because the average age
of lacemakers is such that they are in early / retirement and what if
commonly called the silver market - ie kids gone, house paid off, money behind them
and time for themselves - so they are happy to organise and attend events and
expect more events to be held simply because they have the opportunity to
attend them.

My local lace group has had about 10 - 15% new recruits over the last 3 years
who have come to lacemaking because they have taken early retirement and are
looking to take up a craft they have always wanted to do - however, the number
of Adult Education Classes have diminished in our area and now there are very
few places to learn because the number of learner has dropped off.

But here is the Catch 22 - no learners - no classes - no classes - no where
to learn.

I have a real fear is the actual age of the lacemakers is rising and that we
are about to see a horrible decline in the next 10 - 15 years as the average
age hits 80 plus.

Does anyone know if the Lace Guild have any demographics on this?

I have a simply policy - anyone who asks to learn lace, I will teach.  That
way, if I teach just two people I have increased my contribution to the gene
pool.

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see