Heather wrote:

<Now, I recognize that I've got my schedule packed to the gills, but
most people I know my age do as well and if it cant go in a backpack, it's
not an option.>

Now that's a thought... I have two travel pillows that pack up like a small bag and fit into tote bags but how about someone coming up with a backpack design that you can just zip open and get on with your lace!!

Having found lacemaking in the last nine years (bought a Dryad kit in 1994 by mail order), finding IOLI and local lace groups, Arachne and conventions, I was of the opinion that lacemaking was growing, at least here in the states. Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part but our local groups are growing, due mainly to one dedicated BL teacher in our area. We were demonstrating together last Sunday at Pioneer Days, outdoors and very cold, brr. I have been going now for about 4 years and this year I kept hearing people say "oh look it's the bobbin lacers" so I think we are becoming more common place. We heard fewer comments about tatting although we did meet a few tatters. We had a "have a go pillow" which was in almost constant use and that included men trying it. I missed our last guild meeting but was told there were ten newbies trying BL for the first time including two men. Our age group does tend to range in the 40's to 60+ but maybe that is because we probably bring in our friends as new members, and no matter how we try to hide the grey we can't pass for teenagers these days. :-)
Janice