Well, the turkey's ready, the stuffing is made, the pumpkin pie is cooling and the kitchen is clean. (for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, today is Thanksgiving in Canada)

At last I have some time to ponder a lacemaking mystery. It seems to me that a couple of years ago there was some article, somewhere, plus reports on Arachne about people taking classes in, a type of Scottish bobbin lace that was being resurrected. I have a vague memory that it was a kind of point lace.

Lately I have been reading my copy of Mrs. Lowes' "Chats on Old Lace and Needlework" and she has this comment: "Scotch lace can hardly be said to exist. At one time a coarse kind of network lace called "Hamilton lace" was made, and considerable money was obtained by it, but it never had a fashion, and deservedly so."

I'm assuming this 'Hamilton Lace' was the subject of the revival a couple of years ago, and despite Mrs. Lowes' strictures I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Can someone with a better memory than mine place this lace, and tell me where the article on it was? Was it in the Lace Guild magazine, or somewhere else?

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)