On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 07:59 PM, lace-digest wrote:

Did anyone go to The Knitting and Stitching Show at Ally Pally this weekend?

Yes, I went on Sunday - and spent a fortune on a huge amount of new threads.
I'd hoped to find one or two but I've just added about 40 to the Addendum2 list.

I haven't tried using any of them yet, but the one I'm most interested in using is the hemp which I guess will work up similar to linen and I've got ideas beginning to go around my head for a project mixing it with Vuorelma linen which is of a very similar size.

I also ordered a sample folder of Japanese threads. When it arrives I will think about ordering some of the silk wrapped stainless steel thread. There were a couple of knitted garments on display and they didn't feel as stiff as I expected, but I've no idea how it would handle for BL, or any other technique.

  Are there any other point
ground laces that aren't too difficult?

All point ground laces are of a similar type based on the net ground and working angle of more than 45 degrees. They all have a similar level of difficulty, with regular/geometric/simpler patterns through to elaborate floral designs. IMO the thing which makes PG 'harder' than, say, torchon is the fact that PG is usually worked at a small scale with fine thread. Try enlarging the pattern a bit so that you can more easily see what you are doing, and adjust the thread accordingly, but don't use crochet/tatting cotton as the double spinning means that it won't look right with all the twists that PG lace requires. 10 wraps of thread should equal the distance between two footedge pinholes

Having spent a fortune at Ally Pally, I dread to think what I'll spend next
Sunday at the Tonbridge lace fair.

I'll be at Tonbridge too - manning the Lace Guild stand, so please come and say hello to me.

Brenda

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] campaign