I'm glad I'm not the only who can't control my credit card when I'm at Ally
Pally!  The Textile Gallery alone is worth the price of admission - there
are always so many gorgeous things there, to look at and to buyand to get
ideas from.  I was fascinated by the display of dolls, and inevitably bought
a book and pattern to try cloth-doll making myself.

I walked straight past the hemp stall, not realising there might be
possibilities for lacemaking with it.  I did get some silk thread from
Jacqui Carey which I will try lacing with.  Thanks for the tip about not
using crochet/tatting thread for PG - I wouldn't have known it wouldn't look
right.  Incidentally, I've found your book very useful for learning about
threads.  When I joined the Lace Guild on Saturday, I was given a free back
issue of the magazine and found a review of your book in it.  I was
astonished to read that the reviewer thought it would only be of interest to
teachers - I'm a near beginner and have already found it very useful in
selecting thread equivalents, and working out how thick and thread and gimp
to use for the pricking I had, based on distance between footside holes.
And the information about the different types of threads at the beginning
was mostly new to me.  So, thanks for a very useful book!

See you at Tonbridge,

Regards,
Annette in London