I have several bobbins, made by different bobbin-makers, with spiral
inscriptions on them.  They all start with the inscription at the bottom.  All
bar one are turned to the left in order to read the inscription.

I sometimes give these bobbins to a non-lacemaker to read ('cos they have
clever inscriptions on them such as "Blow the dust, let's make lace") and I've
noticed that everyone seems to automatically turn the bobbin to the left.  If I
give the non-lacemaker the one which turns to the right, they always start off
by turning it to the left - so for right-handed people, it must be some sort of
intuitative action.

Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)

Celtic Dream Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: So here is my
questions....
!.) Do you believe I did paint this bobbin as a left hander would do? I do
realize as I paint my bobbins I turn them from the right to the left so
whatever I am painting is closest to my hand that I am painting with.
2.) Should spiral inscription read from the bottom to the top or from the top
to the bottom?
3.) When reading a normally spiral inscription do you usually turn a bobbin
from left to right or right to left.
The bobbin I painted is my own that I use myself but now my curiosity has me
wondering.
So I am turning this over to all of you just incase I do paint a bobbin to sell
someday that has spiral inscriptions on it ...what is the right way? I don't
think I have ever seen this subject brought up before......
Sherry