On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 11:36 PM, Celtic Dream Weaver wrote:

My husband happened to notice one of my bobbins I had painted. I had put the words I use for one of my accounts on the internet. What I did was start the inscription from the bottom and you have to turn the bobbin to the left to read it. It is painted spirally up the bobbin with flowers painted between the words.

Hi Sherry,
I have several modern Midlands style bobbins with spiral inscriptions and all start from the bottom and need to be turned to the left to read them. However I have a small collection of old, (150 -200 year old )Honiton bobbins and 4 of them have spiral inscriptions, all starting from the top. again they need to be turned left. All of them incidentally are double spirals. One just has a name on each spiral, Sarah Tealer.
Another has a message, 'Love and Live happey' on one spiral and 'Love the Giver 1827'. It also has the initials S,T on a band at the top so perhaps it was given to Sarah as a love token. A third one has a very fine inscription in a double spiral with a line of arrow heads between each row. It too seems to have been a love token and says,' The ring is rond an have no end,so is my love to you my frend' ( this is the old spelling, not mine or the computer's, for once) The bobbin is les than a quarter inch in diameter and the spiral decoration about 2 and three quarter inches long.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.