In a message dated 18/10/2003 04:45:38 GMT Daylight Time, Tamara 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have to agree with Susie -- leave the magnifer off as long as you 
> can. At least in BL, anyway :) In BL, you move by touch most of the 
> time; after you know what your'e suposed to be doing, that is :). A 
> properly pre-pricked pattern aids you in that; you don't need to *see*. 
> When I used to do miniature needlepoint, I used to use a magnifying 
> lamp on any canvas with more than 32holes per inch, but it was a pain 
> in the, um, head... working through a magnifier, one's not working "in 
> real time" as it were. I found I had to stop and rest my eyes *much* 
> more frequently than when working on the pieces which did not require 
> magnifcation. And, getting back into work, in its blown-up version, was 
> very difficult. None of those problems appeared with even *slightly* 
> larger canvas, which I could tackle by unaided eye-sight.

I spoke with Dad about all the postings on magnifiers and light and he wanted 
me to share with you his experiences of using them over the past 10 years 
that he has gone blind.  We hope that this information may be of use to anyone 
thinking of using / buying light or magnification.

Dad started to go blind about 10 years ago and began to use a magnifier for 
his model making.  Dad thought it was brilliant and kept telling me to get one. 
 However, because my eyesight was 20-20 I found that useing a magnifier on a 
3-d object, such as model, meant that I was loosing my 3-d perception.

As Dad's eyesight got worse, he started to use a very large, illuminated 
magnifier which has a width of lens around 30cm.  Dad discovered then that his 3-d 
sight was affected by the magnifier because he couldn't hit the model with 
the paint brush.

This was made worse with the fact that shortly after he lost his sight in one 
eye and so lost his stereo vision.

But, what he has found of more use since he started to go blind and we have 
all over the house are daylight bulbs and lamps.  We have been supplied by the 
Daylight Company who are wonderful for blind people as the offer special rates 
for registered blind which are vat free but also even cheaper than they 
should be <A 
HREF="http://www.daylightcompany.co.uk/";>http://www.daylightcompany.co.uk/</A> they 
are also fantastic with their 
customer service - I am sure that there is a US equivilant.

Dad and I have got into using flourescent bulbs (you take the wattage and 
muliply by 7 to get the equivilant wattage of a normal bulb) because they are 
clear, pure, bright light which is cheap to run.  Dad has one over his pc 
keyboard which is designed to pull the light down onto the keyboard and no where else 
- so it doesn't blind what little sight he has left.

We also have daylight bulbs in the main lights and other flourescents around 
the house to help him.

When I worked nights I used a 15w daylight lamp on my desk so I could move 
about when the main lights were out but because it was well designed, all the 
light went on my desk and didn't affect my collegues trying to sleep.

Dad has used the clip on magnifiers that you put on your glasses - I know 
that many of the ladies at my lace group also favour these but they are heavy and 
can 'pull' your glasses.  Dad also felt that because they were very small the 
main focal area was restricted.  He found it easier to use a much larger 
magnifier that gave the whole area he was working on.

However, for the ultimate in magnification, he now has a cctv magnifier which 
has a large movable work table linked to a colour vdu.  It magnifiers 
newsprint to 3".

But then, Dad now has only 5% peripheral vision and has been unable to paint 
or make models for over a year - he had hoped that this would help but he 
cannot get a model under the magnifier.

In addition, he has now found that extensive use of a magnifer has adverse 
effects on his eyesight and actually makes it less effective for a long time 
after using the magnifier.  We aren't saying that using a magnifier ruins your 
eyes, but if you use one for a long period of time you will find that you will 
need to 'rest' your eyes for at least as long if not 2 - 3 times the lenght.  
Dad has experienced this personally but also been told it by his eye 
specialists and by his supplier.

My optician told me a very long time ago that crafts and hobbies were great 
but you must do them in good, clear daylight or excellent quality artifical 
light and never, ever in pure direct sunlight - this was because I had sat in my 
window making lace with direct light on my pillow - I ended up with 
excruiating eye strain because the light was too strong on my pillow and the pins had 
reflected and tried to 'burn' my eyes (his words).  Everytime I closed my eyes 
they burned - the way that they did when I was a kid and would watch the fire 
at christmas.  You know, when you forget to blink when watching a film and am 
tired then you close your eyes and they feel hot.

Now I make lace in the afternoon in my bedroom where the light is coming in 
through the window from an angle away from my bed and is clear but not direct.

Hope this helps

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see 
what it's all about

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to