To all who know our irrepressible friend Betty Ann Rice in
Roanoke, VA...

You will be saddened to hear that her Mother died earlier
this week.  Although I did not know her Mother, BA's note to
me tells me volumes about what a remarkable lady she must
have been:

"Grace Velma Bishop Phillips, passed away at 1:30 a.m. on
Tuesday morning and her service was held on Thursday in
Floyd, Virginia
where she lived.  Amazing Grace was 96� years young and had
all her
marbles.  She had all her funeral arrangements made except
naming the
pall-bearers - she left directions with the funeral director
that "Betty
Ann can get them."  She also threatened the director, whom
she had known
since birth, that if he put a lace handkerchief in her hand,
she's rise
up and slap him!  She didn't like the "pink, lace, shroud"
look.

"She went on her own terms; her heart gave out. She would
have loved
being alive at her own funeral - 4 ministers, an overflowing
chapel, a
sunny warm day, and all her wishes carried out.  I cannot
mourn her
passing, only wonder who I'll ask, "Who lived there?" or
"Who was
he/she?"  She knew everyone in the County and I had to read
the local
weekly to her so she could tell me who everyone was...

"Mama was a wonderful needlewoman and tatter until she lost
her eyesight
and supported me in my lacemaking.  When she wanted a
special present
for someone, she'd ask me to 'make me a bookmark.' "

I know Betty Ann would appreciate your notes and emails
right now...
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to